Computer recycling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 8 February 2008 12.42pm
The Southwark website explains that IT equipment can be donated and re-used, but I have a keyboard that is no use to anyone. Can I still recycle it, does anyone know?

I tipped a drink into it. To my shame, was not using a Tupperware straw tumbler with drip-proof and spill-proof seal...
Friday 8 February 2008 4.15pm
moderator... that's advertising!

The council don't take WEEE (the acronym for waste electronic equipment) but i think that the manufacturers now have to accept it back for disposal.... or the shop.
Friday 8 February 2008 4.32pm
Have you tried cleaning it in the dishwasher?

* Not my article and, yes, I think it's mad too - but I would give it a try for the hell of it!
Friday 8 February 2008 8.11pm
I wanted a new one anyway, so I didn't bother, but yes apparently it does work.
Saturday 9 February 2008 7.20pm
Check out the new Southwark council website for details on how to recycle everything including electrical items.
Just type in your postcode and you'll find out how and where to recycle most items.
Sunday 10 February 2008 2.07am
My original post was prompted by having visited the Southwark website!
Sunday 10 February 2008 12.22pm
The organisations you want are OFFERS and CRISP:
http://www.crispej.org.uk/waste/offers/index.htm

You will have to take your keyboard down there, but they will recycle it if it cannot be mended. They take all computer equipment, working or not. Any that can be made to work is refurbished and sold at low rates to community project. This produces enough money to recycle the useless bits (yes it cost money, because of the labour involved in dismantling)
Sunday 10 February 2008 12.33pm
Thanks, that's helpful. The info on the website implied they only want working equipment.
Sunday 10 February 2008 2.04pm
By the way it is quite hard to find - although listed as Brandon St, they are actually in the row of shops which face Rodney Road on a first floor level walkway accessed by steps from Brandon St or via a ramp from the junction of Larcom St and Rodney Road.
Sunday 10 February 2008 8.53pm
Yes, I should have mentioned the access. Also, best ring or email before you go because they may have changed their criteria since I was last in touch with them.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: