20 mph Zones in Grange Rd and Spa Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 11 February 2008 12.03pm
I have written a grumpy email to TFL and Southwark council on the Grange Road 20 mph zone. I have done this because they are contemplating introducing an even more expensive scheme around Spa Road area. It appears that the enormous number of people employed by the council and the mayor have nothing better to do than spend money on schemes "improving" roads. The fact that less than three years ago they also spent tens of thousands on Spa Road "improvements" seems to mean nothing as they want to dig them up again. I'm all for 20 mph zones in school, hospital or totally residential streets, but the crap work that is shoddily implemented gets my back up lets the taxpayer badly down. Here is my email:

"The 20 mph zone proposals for Grange Road, SE1, were meant to be wide ranging and included a camera to help 20 mph enforcement, there is no camera yet. As far as I can see no-one, including bus, and council vehicles abides by the 20 mph limit.

Some of the features put in to make improve the pedestrian experience in fact are now more dangerous because motorists are hitting the raised road surfaces at far more than 20 mph. The additional refuges constructed are dangerous to drivers as they are too near bus stops, vehicles overtaking buses (now the buses have no dedicated lay-byes) are forced to stop in the middle of the road as they cannot see the refuge until they swing out from behind the bus (this applies even more in Abbey Street). One refuge near Futura House is also so close to a single yellow line on the North of Grange Road that if larger vehicles there legally park at night no buses or trucks could get through without crossing the wrong side of the bollards!

The road surface is breaking up where cables were laid.

The bus lane is badly signed, obscured by trees.

Trucks turning right at Pages Walk have to swing across both lanes of Grange Road.

Buses and large trucks turning East from Northern Tower Bridge Road/Grange Road slip-road are forced to swing into oncoming traffic lane.

I note that there are proposals to make Alscott and Spa Roads similarly 20 mph zone. Unless the implementation of such zones is more competently overseen it is a waste of the taxpayers money!"
Monday 11 February 2008 12.17pm
Try driving at 20 mph along Abbey Street and see how much abuse you will get from other drivers-i have had people overtaking me as driving too slowly for them.
Monday 11 February 2008 12.50pm
I know the feeling, I have the same thing happen on Tower Bridge.

I think the problem is partly that 20 mph is inappropriate for main roads like Abbey Street or Grange Road, and when they put them in they are not enforced anyway. I would prefer the national limit of 30 mph to be more rigorously enforced. The last two crashes with pedestrian injuries in Grange road: one occurred at less than 20 mph, the other involved a speeding vehicle crashing while overtaking (illegal activity like this is unlikely to stop just because it says 20 instead of 30). Surely pedestrian and child road safety education is money better spent.

The laws regarding motorists in London have lost the respect of the motoring population. Parking enforcement has long been a joke, using a blanket policy of ticketing and forcing motorists to appeal when in the right. Speeding fines levied on empty dual carriage-ways, cameras issuing tickets for parking and stopping offenses showing disregard for everyday drop off of elderly or infirm passengers. Foreign registered drivers evading fines. Bus lanes operating outside working rush hour times.
Monday 11 February 2008 1.14pm
I would also like to know how much money was wasted when, having lavished a great deal of time and attention on the bus stop outside the Fort, including laying red tarmac and re-painting the lines, it was promptly dug up again last week.

What's more, the pavement there turns into a lake almost as soon as it rains.
Tuesday 12 February 2008 8.57pm
Duh?

Spa Road IS a 20 mph zone. It's got lumps and bumps all down it now and you can just about get up to 15mph without losing your exhaust.
Tuesday 12 February 2008 11.01pm
My point exactly Davies. It appears there is money out there to burn for roads to be dug up and changed soon after another ill conceived plan has been completed, and some civil servant decides they can keep their job by coming up with a new scheme.

Actually today's confirmation that the mayor has abandoned the congestion charge in favour of a CO2 tax means that congestion may increase in our area and put a stop to speeding anyway!
Tuesday 25 March 2008 7.23pm
I know that some may not agree with the 20mph zones being implemented, however, if you live on Grange Road, as I do, what do you think of the work done, whether it works and what else could be done, if anything.

Personally, I don't think it has done anything to slow traffic, and the abscence of any entry treatment at either end contributes to this.
Southwark have failed to provide and flashing variable speed light signs that are common when you exceed a 20 mph zone.

Is it the best of a bad job, a job well done or just half a job on a badly thought out project?

Has traffic slowed, speeded up as it leaves the various builds put in place?

What else could contribute to the scheme to make it work?

Thanks

Bill
Tuesday 25 March 2008 7.26pm
What it has done is make the traffic noisy. Bump- bump, rev engine; brakes, bump bump, rev engine and speed up; da capo ad nauseam.

I'm glad I moved away!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: