Topnotch Gym - St Thomas Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 October 2003 4.32pm
I wondered if there are any members or ex-members on the forum. What do you think of it?
Monday 13 October 2003 4.37pm
This thread:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/4104

might be of interest.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 13 October 2003 4.39pm
Also, check out this story from the Evening Standard about Topnotch's recent financial difficulties:

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/business/articles/timid68471

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 13 October 2003 4.47pm
Thanks James.

I've been a member since Feb but have problems getting a programme put together or any instruction. All they do is try to sell me Personal training sessions at 45 a pop. Even when I tell them that I can't afford the extra, they don't give up.

I'm moving to Tulse Hill so I am selling my membership. The membership runs till end Jan 2004. My housemate has one too. Either or both memberships are for sale. We pay 55 per month each but are willing to do a deal. If someone out there wants a membership but without the long-term committment, then let me know. Call me on 07810 304 774.
Monday 13 October 2003 4.49pm
I'm an ex member - and I dont' think it's the greatest gym in the world.

The staff don't really know their stuff (ie booking you onto classes when the instructors are on holiday, booking you on to a lie down sunbed when you requested stand up), it's a bit dirty, the jacuzzi's always cold, and whereas it was maintained really well when it first opened, it's not to nearly as high a standard as it was. I know only small points, but when you're paying 54 per month for a private gym, they're the kind of thing that matter. To be fair though, the equipment isn't bad, the pool itself is okay.

I joined earlier this year, then cancelled my membership as I wasn't happy with the service. The gym told me I couldn't do this as I was signed up for a year - but on calling my bank, it turned out they hadn't activated or set up the direct debit in the first place! I was told I'd face the debt collectors coming round to collect money owed, so called the gym to try and sort it out, they didn't return one of my calls, so I got several months of free membership for nothing! The only good thing about a very slack gym. It's a shame, as it used to be great!
Wednesday 15 October 2003 9.44am
I switched to the Fitness First next to Hays Galleria. It's very reliable and the pool is brilliant because it is actually big enough to swim in, unlike the bath tub in Topnotch they call a pool.
Tuesday 6 January 2004 11.12pm
Agree with Dave.

I was using Topnotch Waterloo up until it closed last October. They kept telling me that it was going to expand into two arches etc. etc., but then it just closed overnight.

My subscription came up for renewal on the 1st and I've dumped Topnotch for The Club at County Hall. Great facilities, good size pool and everything laid on. Staff are friendly and there are some great eateries between the gym and my place(woops!).

Maybe a bit pricey, but iseems worth it. Give it a try if you fancy something a little bit more special than the run of the mill places.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: