Attempted Break-In on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 13 February 2008 2.28pm
We live just off Bermondsey Street and the communal front door to our building is constantly being damaged by someone trying to pry it open.
I arrived home last night to find three large gouges in the woodwork where someone had tried to break in.

Everyone should keep an eye out as I doubt it's just our building that they are trying to get into.
Wednesday 13 February 2008 4.12pm
I live off Bermondsey Street too and our communual door has met a similar fate. It is steel framed glass door and someone once tried to drill out all the surrounding screws so they could gain access.

It drives me totally insane that other residents don't always ensure the door is shut properly. Many a time I have come home to find it wide open.

On a related note, the entrance to our building is secluded and there is a large brick planter. I often find packages stolen from the doorstop of other addresses and ripped open to be stolen or discarded if no resale value. I once found someones wedding photos (not stolen) and last night two boxes of wine that someone had delivered. Of course the wine had been stolen...
Wednesday 13 February 2008 6.04pm
they are probably after the scrap metal on the handles,plates etc..particularly if they are brass!
Monday 18 February 2008 3.14pm
You are right about stealing the brass plates, we had ours taken off our communal front doors this weekend, having already had the lead stripped from our rooves!
Monday 18 February 2008 4.57pm
We lived in a tower block Sally many moons ago..the lifts served alternate floors, walking from the ninth to the eighth found that the brass handles were missing to access one landing..opened my front door a week later to find some guy jumping backwards, he was trying to get the other two off! coming home last week, the subway handrails were partially removed..don't know what metal they were made of though, scrap metals seem to be increasing all the time due to the scarcity of supply.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: