Bengal Clipper - possibly my worst ever restaurant experience

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 14 February 2008 11.48am
I went to the Bengal Clipper last night with five colleagues. Maybe not being suited and booted was the problem, but as soon as we walked in the door it went from bad to worse.

The waiter refused to take orders for our main course, insisting on taking starters only at first. He walked around the table virtually demanding to know what we wanted, shouting 'next' between each person.

The starters arrived - my chicken was tasteless and mediocre to say the least. The plates were virtually snatched from us seconds after we put our cutlery down, and off they rushed again without the chance of ordering main course.

Finally we persuaded a waiter to take our main course order. All the dishes arrived within 15-20 minutes, and were randomly chucked on the table without a care for who ordered what.

Again once we'd just about finished our main course, we were asked if we were ok and wanted a taxi. This continued for the next twenty minutes whilst we finished our drinks and chatted, with sometimes the same waiter reappearing within 2-3 minutes asking if he could order us a taxi.

The service was absolutely atrocious - I've never been treated so badly in a restaurant in London. The food was nothing special, and by the time I'd paid the nearly 200 bill I was feeling a little short changed on my experience.

I'll try and give them another chance sometime, perhaps if I put a suit on instead of smart casual they'll treat me with a little more respect.
Thursday 14 February 2008 12.21pm
I'm puzzled, why would you want to give them another chance after service like that? It's not as if you thought the food was fab and therefore worth putting up with poor serice. Would you find the place ok if they treated you better in a suit I certainly wouldn't
Thursday 14 February 2008 12.23pm
I don't know, was thinking maybe it was just me. Have read some good things about the place, so perhaps it was just an off day?
Thursday 14 February 2008 12.40pm
I've been three or four times over the past five years or so. I think the food is quite good, but have always felt the service left a great deal to be desired. Staff in restaurants should respect customers until the customers do something to convince them otherwise - and not the other way round.
Thursday 14 February 2008 12.49pm
There are no end of Indian restaurants in SE1 worth trying where you won't be treated rudely, rushed, or given the hard sell on behalf of a taxi firm! See the restaurant review section.

If you are treated in surly manner, with legitimate requests for service refused (i.e. asking to order the main meal at the beginning) then you are likely under the Goods and Services Act to be entitled to leave without paying or pay an amount you feel appropriate (e.g. minus the service charge; or a more arbitrary fraction) - leave your name and address. Best to complain to the manager first though.

Obviously in a lot of social situations this is embarassing but it is worth considering especially if you're fed up early on by the improper service.

But I'm not a lawyer !
Thursday 14 February 2008 1.00pm
I am curious as to why you didn't ask to speak to the Manager. I wouldn't have put up with either the poor service or the 'mediocre' food.

Did your friends feel the same? Did you ask for the service charge to be removed?

Certainly standards of service are declining in London, not only in restaurants - but, apathy being the national disease, we allow it to continue.
Thursday 14 February 2008 1.03pm
Thanks for all your replies and thoughts. Should really have made a fuss, but sometimes you just can't be bothered.. and it was one of those moments.

Once bitten twice shy I guess, it's convinced me not to go back.
Thursday 14 February 2008 1.07pm
While making a fuss in a restaurant can achieve results, it tends to be very embarrassing. And there's always a nagging suspicion that staff may exact some sort of revenge if you do complain.
Thursday 14 February 2008 1.12pm
The British have genes per-programmed to make them polite in restaurants, regardless of how badly they are being treated - it's just our way. Americans, on the other hand, will not take bad service under any circumstances - and quite right to. Seen some nice American ladies turn into rottweilers if they don't get exactly the service the expect - good on 'em!
Thursday 14 February 2008 9.09pm
My favourite ever restaurant one liner was said by a fierce NYC girl friend of mine. We were in a tatty little cafe having a fry up and she complained that the milk was warm. I told her not to be so fussy as we were in a greasy spoon and she said: 'Are we here to eat, or make friends?'

At the same time spare a thought for my poor BF who is waiting tables locally on the busiest night of the year... Its also the night where people who dont know how to eat out, eat out. Eeek.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: