Second-hand Apple Macs?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 16 February 2008 8.40pm
Does anyone have experience of buying second-hand Macs? And/or know where I can get a reliable one from a trustworthy place preferably locally? Mine is about to go phut.
Sunday 17 February 2008 10.37am
I've bought a few, from Gumtree, and from a second hand shop, as well as from friends. On the whole, it was painless, simply getting a geeky buddy to reload the latest operating system. The processor speed seems to be important, restricting the 'level' of OS (X10.3.9 or X10.4.1) but unless you're running photoshop, and other heavy apps, it seems OK. Like most Mac users, I simply use it, rather than use a PC as a reason to study how to problem solve IT headaches (what is the fuss about those virus thingies?)
It's possible to fire-wire the new one to the old one, and 'clone' the new mac, so the settings & files are already there. My 2003 G4 powerbook lost it's DVD burner when I came off my bike, but a remote CDburner from Micro Anvika works fine.
Sunday 17 February 2008 6.24pm
Hi Rebecca,

You might want to try posting on the Macuser forums
Monday 18 February 2008 7.54am
Apple itself has an online refurb store, they don't have lots and lots of things on there but I would think it'd be a good place to buy from (although it might be more expensive than buying from a person.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore.woa/wa/RSLID?nnmm=browse&mco=90680C2A&node=home/specialdeals
Eg
Monday 18 February 2008 11.52am
Hi there
I live locally ie SE1 and have an i mac for sale, it's in very good condition as I have now got a lap top, I no longer need it, but it's a great lookin machine ! If your interested let me know, it's not expensive !
Elise
Monday 18 February 2008 12.44pm
Rebecca - could your mac be fixed? I have used Honeylight a couple of times for fixing and updating mine ... no connection other than being a very satisfied customer...

www.honeylight.co.uk
Monday 18 February 2008 5.49pm
ELISE - I guess Rebecca has first refusal, but if yoyu don't hear from her, I'm interested!
Laura
Monday 18 February 2008 6.37pm
Thanks everyone for the great variety of very helpful responses.

We will go down the 'getting it repaired' route first.

So, Laura, thanks for holding back, but feel free to investigate buying Elsie's.
Monday 18 February 2008 7.25pm
What type of Imac is it?
Eg
Wednesday 20 February 2008 1.05pm
Hi Graham
Sorry about delay in replying but had probs with new Mac ! My old i Mac was the blue one, sorry don't know what model no..but you will know ! Give me a call if u r interested.
07770 917443
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: