Tooley Street area - safe?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 February 2008 1.30am

I will be working on Tooley Street and was thinking about living somewhere near it. How is this area wrt safety?
Monday 18 February 2008 9.35am
Monday 18 February 2008 9.54am
Do you mean "yes, it's safe"?
Monday 18 February 2008 9.57am
Yes - it's not really any more or less safe than most areas of central London (or comparable cities elsewhere).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 February 2008 10.30am
Being on a major bus route, close to London Bridge station, on a tourist route with many major developments e.g. Hays Galleria, City Hall & MoreLondon, I would say Tooley Street was safer than other parts of SE1. It is certainly a busy vibrant street, close to the river, sandwiched between London Bridge & Tower Bridge.
Monday 18 February 2008 10.58am
How far down south can one feel reasonably safe? I don't expect miracles, of course.
Monday 18 February 2008 11.02am
I feel safe in most of Bermondsey, with the exception of a couple of the larger estates, which are really just unfamiliar...
Monday 18 February 2008 11.09am
OK, thanks. SE1, here i come!
Monday 18 February 2008 4.56pm
I think it's a bit hazardous to describe any area as safe, as this fosters rather a complacent attitude, but I don't regard SE1 as alarmingly unsafe. Tooley Street is generally pretty busy, at least at its western end, which arguably helps make it feel pretty safe most of the time.
Monday 18 February 2008 6.32pm
Thanks. I am comfortable now that I won't get mugged too often ;-)

I will ask another question, since you are so kind: what are decent prices for studios and one bedroom flats in this area? Just so that I know if someone wants to rip me off...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: