Triple Glazing

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 February 2008 12.17pm
Hi there.

Has anyone any experience of getting triple glazing installed. I live on the ground floor of a newish flat on Grange Road and the traffic is quite noisy. The windows are double -glazed but I was wondering if triple glazing was easy to get done.

Monday 18 February 2008 12.34pm
It's better to have double glazing done right, IMHO.
Monday 18 February 2008 12.41pm
Hi Gerard

Friend of mine had it done in Boss House years ago - and it made a huge difference.

I have stuck with the original double glazing in Boss House and have got used to the noise - Tooley Street is like a race track.

If you have only recently moved in - give it a few months to see if you can get used to the traffic noise.

I am not sure who he got to do the job - but remember that you only want this doing once, and you do get what you pay for!
Monday 18 February 2008 3.20pm
I live on St Georges Road which is like Le Mans on a bad day. I had sealed unit double glazing but it was still noisy. Last year I had secondary double glazing installed with a really big gap between it and the old D-G. It worked like a charm! It was almost spooky at first - it felt like I had gone deaf with the traffic piling by but without a sound. At that point EVEREST were doing special deals of 40% off - you could try their website. The process was quick clean and efficient.
Monday 18 February 2008 7.00pm
Fixed units with a small gap don't make much difference to noise as the panes couple together to conduct the noise.

A good air gap (as you get with secondary glazing) decouples the panes and reduces noise a lot more, also look at special noise reducing laminated glass.
Monday 18 February 2008 7.19pm
On the basis that if you hear it from three people there's a chance it's correct....double or triple glazing doesn't do much for noise reduction, secondary glazing emphatically does. I researched this then had some installed to quite dramatic positive effect BUT it sure ain't pretty.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: