Where to buy saffron

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Monday 18 February 2008 1.39pm
Hi all,

Does anyone know a good place to buy saffron in SE1 (other than supermarkets which rip you off to the tune of 3 for a couple of strands)? I know it's an expensive spice, but it needn't be that much, even in London... (unfortunately my sister got ripped off buying me some in Beirut and came back with a sandwich bag of red threads which were most definitely not saffron!).

TIA
Hana
Monday 18 February 2008 1.45pm
So the moral of this tale is... if it's cheap then it's probably not saffron.

Tesco/Waitrose it is then.
Monday 18 February 2008 1.52pm
They sell it in Brindisa in Borough Market. Not particularly cheap but genuine.
Monday 18 February 2008 1.55pm
While we're on the subject, if I could get hold of some chervil it would do my tomato soup no end of good. Dried is fine.
Monday 18 February 2008 2.17pm
I understand that the trouble with chervil is that it is delicate and deteriorates very fast after picking, so pretty much the only way to get it is to grow your own.

However if you manage to find the answer to your question, I'd be just as interested!
Monday 18 February 2008 2.46pm
I found saffron strands at the big Waitrose Canary Wharf so I hope they are genuine!
Monday 25 February 2008 12.21pm
Betty at Borough Market sells loads of herbs and spices. She used to be next to Total Organics but she's moved...
Monday 25 February 2008 2.26pm
miss marple wrote:
Betty at Borough Market sells loads of herbs and spices. She used to be next to Total Organics but she's moved...

More than moved - I believe she's gone and is no longer at BM. Brindisa is the other option for genuine saffron.
Monday 25 February 2008 10.54pm
Brindisa definitely a good option for saffron. Chervil may be found in plentiful supply in summer in grass verges and the like - but I wouldn't know where to get it the rest of the year. Maybe pick some wild and dry or freeze it yourself for other times?
Tuesday 26 February 2008 8.46am
The turkish shop on Walworth Road (where the road widens, almost opposite Argos, north of La Luna) sells saffron - it's behind the counter so you need to ask for it.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: