Aylesbury Estate regeneration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 18 February 2008 6.13pm
[Split from the Strata thread]

I have relatives that live on the Aylesbury Estate further up Walworth Road. There were really advanced plans to demolish the estate and replace it with modern housing, including mock-up show homes. A letter came through recently saying that the funding has ran out and the redevelopment won't happen anymore, tough luck. After years of planning and consultation as well. If this is a sign of things to come for Southwark redevelopment... let's see in 2 or 3 years time. Maybe we'll get saved by some aggressive rate cuts and stamp duty revisions.
Monday 18 February 2008 10.25pm
So does this mean that the council won't be providing new homes for tennants on the really run down estates around Elephant? And does it mean that the Heygate estate will be staying also?
Monday 18 February 2008 10.35pm
I've split this into a separate thread as it's not really to do with Strata at all.

Sam - that's not strictly accurate. The Aylesbury plans certainly haven't been abandoned, though they may be delayed(!)

Yes, there's a funding gap and it's true that in future the council won't be directly funding the Aylesbury project team but there is no suggestion that the "redevelopment won't happen anymore" - this news story published today is based on Southwark's spin but it gives you some idea of the latest situation:

PJ - the recent speculation about the Aylesbury regeneration is absolutely nothing to do with the Heygate Estate or the Elephant regeneration.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 18 February 2008 11.22pm
Well I'm relived. Also it looks as though things with the wider E&C regeneration are back on track too, yes?
Tuesday 19 February 2008 9.23am
James, apologies for posting on the wrong thread... and thanks for the new information. Wish the communication was better, we seem to get the odd letter here and there and our reaction was that it was all off - the last letter certainly pointed to that. Hope it all comes together one day.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: