SE1 DJ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 19 February 2008 2.26pm
Hi,

I'm looking for a local DJ who could DJ in a local pub on the 2nd Saturday of every month between 2.30 - 5.30?

If anyone knows of a DJ or the approx price for this please let me know. Many Thanks.
Tuesday 19 February 2008 2.27pm
Just read over that and realised I said DJ and Local a lot there! Haha!
Tuesday 19 February 2008 2.51pm
Hi
Are you talking AM or PM ? What style of music?
Tuesday 19 February 2008 7.58pm
afternoon's

pop and r & b? Just chart stuff really?
Wednesday 20 February 2008 8.37am
I'm guessing from the time it's on that it's more of a social than a club. Do you have a mate with a good collection of music on his/her laptop that might do it for beer? If the pub has a decent music system you could plug it in to that and save yourself some money. Plus people could bring their iPods and have anything they want played. I imagine a dj would cost around 50/hour and may have a minimum.
let me know what kind of event it is, i know a dj who may be suitable, I'll check out his rates.
Wednesday 20 February 2008 10.51am
Fifty pounds an hour? Cripes, and there's me DJing in Islington every Saturday night for the fun of it. Indieish though, R&B would have me walking straight out of the pub! Not as bad as the ubiquitous 'funky house' though.

Maybe I *should* give up the day job after all :)
Wednesday 20 February 2008 1.52pm
Hi Beingjdc
You said it...you get the 'fun' or satisfaction out of it. Doing the weddings etc circuit is bloody hard work and is more of a job for a dj, plus they usually have to lug equipment around with them and put up with a constant stream of 'do you have this?' or my favorite hate 'Play something we can dance to' usually said when the floor is full and said by someone who has less rhythm than a sack of pick-axes. How many times can you play Kylie's 'Can't get you ...' and get excited :-) ?
Wednesday 20 February 2008 2.32pm
Happily no, I do it somewhere that has the kit already set up. Though sometimes I wish I had my own, then I could buy some that worked!

"Do you have this" is non-stop, I often get "Can you play something by x" when I already am, just not a song that particular muppet actually knows, just familiar enough that it's set off a mental trigger in their heads about that band. Well, too bad, not for another dozen songs I can't.

And yeah, "Play something we can dance to" - all the time! I have a policy of not playing anything anyone can dance to in our club until at least pub chucking out time. In my view if you arrive before that it's because you want to listen to some music, not get tanked up and bounce around.

If it doesn't stop I'm going to move to the Camden Purple Turtle. At least the DJ there has a crow's nest away from the crowd.
Thursday 21 February 2008 11.36am
Have you thought about starting something up in this end of town? There are loads of places across the river in Hoxton/Shoreditch but nothing this side.
Thursday 21 February 2008 1.05pm
Yeah it's difficult - SE1 is the scene of self-consciously trendy superclubs as far as I can tell, the vaults under London Bridge, the Ministry of Sound, and so on.

Short of some dodgy places near Elephant and Castle, I'm not sure what good venues exist for a small-ish night (say 100-150 people). There's probably something on Borough High Street.

I do want to try putting on a good old fashioned indie disco sometime this year, probably monthly Fridays for a few months and see how it went. The Roxy would be great but I doubt they'd give me it at peak boozing hours!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: