Plumber/boiler/handyman recommendations please!

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Raf
Wednesday 20 February 2008 10.27am
Hi there

Can anyone recommend someone to help me out with a few things? I presently have:

- faulty boiler (I think it might be pressure related but can't seem to sort it out)
- faulty washing machine
- a leak from a radiator

Ideally I would rather just have one contractor... Can anyone recommend anyone please?

Thanks very much, waiting in hope...!

Raf
Wednesday 20 February 2008 12.25pm
ARe items 1 and 3 connected?
Raf
Wednesday 20 February 2008 12.32pm
yeah...that was me trying to bleed the radiator, tightening the screw and water seems to still come out. the pipe is wet but not sure if its still leaking or not. its certainly not leaking much
Wednesday 20 February 2008 2.20pm
So the boiler probably runs on a pressurised system. So because you bled a radiator, it's no longer pressurised.

Somewhere will be a tap for you to turn to let more water into the system.

If you look at the boiler there are probably 5 pipes going to it. Radiator hot water out; radiator no-longer-hot water in; gas; cold water in; hot water out. (the last only if it is a combi boiler)

Somewhere near where the cold water goes in, there is some sort of a tap which you can use to pressurise the system. No doubt there is a dial somewhere that is looking rather unhappy.

You can probably find the instructions on the manufacturer's website.
Raf
Wednesday 20 February 2008 2.31pm
Thanks for this. I bled the radiator because it looked like there was too much pressure. I don't know if what I did actually helped. The pressure guage looks to be about 2.0 and its supposed to be 0.7. It doesn't seem to have come down. I think the radiator is still leaking, even though I've tightened it as much as I can.

I think I know which nob changes the pressure on the boiler and I've tried fiddling with it, but I don't know what I'm doing and its not really having the desired effect.

I've since found out that my washing machine is kaput and I'll need new one.

I've got a corgi registered guy who's a mate of a mate who's looking at the boiler for 80 tmrw

The Mapmaker wrote:
So the boiler probably runs on a pressurised system. So because you bled a radiator, it's no longer pressurised.
Somewhere will be a tap for you to turn to let more water into the system.

If you look at the boiler there are probably 5 pipes going to it. Radiator hot water out; radiator no-longer-hot water in; gas; cold water in; hot water out. (the last only if it is a combi boiler)

Somewhere near where the cold water goes in, there is some sort of a tap which you can use to pressurise the system. No doubt there is a dial somewhere that is looking rather unhappy.

You can probably find the instructions on the manufacturer's website.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: