Southwark Council says sorry

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 October 2003 9.12pm
London-SE1 homepage news item.
Southwark Council apologises for Blaine disruption and urges
people to stay at home on Sunday.
I can't believe my eyes. How many 1000's of people have turned
up to have a look at this bit of harmless fun.
First England football fans are told not to travel to Turkey to
support their team and now londoners are told to stay at home
and not go out for a little entertainment. Are we turning into a
country of whinging moaners. In a few weeks the whole area
around Potters Fields will be transformed into a landscaped
oasis for people to stroll and relax.
It never ceases to amaze me how a handful of carping, moaning,
snivelling, squawking drips seem to get so emotional over a
harmless bit of fun.
Wednesday 15 October 2003 9.48am
I agree completely. It was pretty harmless. I enjoyed the humour and witty cynicism it engendered, but I just found the naysayers on their ever heightening horses completely insufferable. Southwark Council's patronising apology just makes me despair, for all sorts of reasons.
Wednesday 15 October 2003 10.15am
Maybe so, it is pretty harmless... but you must agree it was pretty piss poor organisation given that the dick in the box has done similar stunts elsewhere and has a track record of causing chaos. It can't have been much fun for the people in the immediate area.
Wednesday 15 October 2003 11.02am
Maybe southwark should have had a contingency plan before the event and not playing catch up all the time...

Great opportunity to do something really great with the park when he's gone - show us what you can do Southwark!
Wednesday 15 October 2003 12.54pm
We all take pride in the Southbank development and the fact that it is becoming one of the major tourist attractions in London. Our neighbourhood, consequently, increases in value and quality of living. If then something like Blaine comes up, harmless if not a bit silly, we should not complain. And yes, it all could have been organised better, but hey- that's the learning curve...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: