The Arc nursery closing down?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 22 February 2008 1.58pm
As highlighted in the news, there is real danger that the Arc will be forced to close.:

- Charterhouse-in-Southwark is seeking a purchaser for 39 Crosby Row, home to the Arc nursery. The charity says that the nursery has been operating on a commercial basis for some time and therefore no longer fits naturally with its charitable mission.-

As a concerned parent it seems incredulous that a nursery with such an amazing reputation and huge waiting list cant be sustained and should be threatened with closure. Our daughter finds the 2 days a week she spends there exhilerating and educational.

If anyone has any ideas of how the charity could sustain running the nursery, or know of any potential buyers please let this forum know (or contact me by email)

The crisis meeting organised by Charterhouse for the parents, whilst a useful opportunity to air views didnt seem to result in any great plan of action.

It will be about Autumn that if the charity hasn't got any firm buyers that they will run out of money.

Suggestions have included:

1. Parents co-op to buy the building (unlikely)
2. Raise fees to sustain it longer (going to happen anyway)
3. Raise an awareness campaign to force Southwark to reconsider not funding the nursery
4. Cut costs by parents helping out (impractical due to training/qualification requirements)

If anyone has any thoughts please respond. Thank you.

Tuesday 26 February 2008 10.14am
Hi Ruudgull

As a fellow concerned parent of a baby at the Arc ... I was under the impression that following the meeting some sort of parent action group was going to be formed? And I wasn't aware that a definite timescale had been announced for the running of the nursery.

You are right that it is a fantastic nursery and it will be a devastating blow to the local community IF it is forced to close.

And I second your call for anyone with any ideas to contact the Trustees of Charterhouse in Southwark.
Tuesday 4 March 2008 11.30am
There is a parents meeting tomorrow if any parents read this:

Parents meeting at 18:00 on Wednesday 5th March 2008 at the Rainbow building, 32 Crosby Row (on the opposite side of the road to the Arc)

I am not the organiser so I will not make any agenda public at this stage, but happy to update on this forum of any developments.
Friday 21 November 2008 9.51am
Looks like the Arc is closing. We were given the letter this morning - the buyers have withdrawn their offer and looks like it will close on 31st Dec. What a shame that such a committed and caring nursery will just disappear.
Sunday 23 November 2008 12.38am
All is not quite lost. If anyone has a current or future interest in the Arc as a nursery, after school club or any sort of centre for children's activities and interests, please come along and show your support by attending the meeting at the Arc, Crosby Row at 6pm on Monday 24th November.
Sunday 23 November 2008 7.23pm
And following on from emmab's post above: if you would like your child to go to the Arc if it's future is secured and you can't make it to the meeting, please pm me or emmab or contact the Arc nursery to register your support before 5pm on Monday 24 November

Thanks for your support!
Monday 24 November 2008 10.44am
Just bumping this message back up to top as deadline is looming for tonights meeting! Thanks
Monday 24 November 2008 10.55am
This an exceptional nursery with an exemplary track record, and it would be nothing short of tragic if this was to close down.

The staff are amazing and there has always been a huge demand for places, for good reason.

Please support in anyway you can. From an anxious parent.
Wednesday 26 November 2008 12.33pm
A difficult but productive meeting with was held on Monday night, attended by about 35 parents, 10 staff, 2 Charterhouse staff and one SE1 journalist (fantastic to see him there- any chance of a write up James?)

All options were discussed including:

1. Reviving negotiations with a Nursery carer who have shown a keen interest
2. Parents co-op to buy out business
3. Interim funds to cover costs until a solution can be identified

A Further meeting was held this morning with some further ideas, which wil be communicated in due course.

We have a meeting with Charterhouse trustees next week to present a proposal and we are still open to any further suggestions/publicity/advice on this difficult issue.
Wednesday 26 November 2008 1.09pm
Here's the link to the write up on this site:

Thanks Leigh!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: