The Hartley - Tower Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9
Wednesday 29 October 2008 12.09pm
I agree - live just round the corner from the Hartley and certainly don't see TBR/Grange Road as the frontier town to the riches of Bermondsey Street that you suggest.

I'm a big fan of the Garrison, the Woolpack and Village East (not so much Bermondsey Kitchen which always feels a bit over-priced to me) but of all the gastro pubs in the immediate area, the Hartley just feels to me like the one most patronised by locals, which can only be a good thing.

Indeed, dined at the Hartley last week and was happy as always.
Thursday 19 February 2009 1.31pm
Does anyone know what has happened at the Hartley? It seemed they had new management last year (as this thread says) and the food went way downhill. Is it better now? Should I be brave & go back??
Thursday 19 February 2009 1.57pm
I finally made it to the Hartlet, after being in the area for four years. Just after New Year, on a quiet Sunday. All very pleasant people but I was very disappointed with the Sunday Roast. I had beef and there wasn't much of it or the veg. It was also not particularly hot. Not good value for money.
Friday 20 February 2009 9.14am
I have to disagree. It is quiet, but I still think the food is very good indeed. I find myself in there quite a lot. Service is friendly. Free wifi. I also like the Garrison and Bermondsey Kitchen - but I think th Hartley offers better value.
Saturday 21 February 2009 10.01am
TBR and its environs are no more, or less, safe than most other parts of Bermondsey - the owner of the sandwich bar on Bermondsey street was (tragically) recently stabbed to death and supermarkets won't deliver after 6.00 pm around shad thames. I feel rather sorry for people whose lives are presumably confined to a few streets of their own self imposed ghettos. Are there some particularly sad souls who never leave Bermondsey street in terror of the badlands that lie beyond? (I've lived on Bermondsey street it's not that exciting).
Monday 23 February 2009 5.46pm
Had Sunday lunch in the Hartley again yesterday.

Good meal, but sadly lacking in atmosphere as very quiet - only 3/4 groups dining at 2 o'clock. Don't know why, I think it deserves to be busier!
Wednesday 6 May 2009 6.49pm
Does anyone know why the Hartley is boarded up? I was last there on Monday night and everything was normal... today all the windows + door are covered in freshly painted wood sheets.

No notices or anything that I can see. And nothing on their website. So I'm guessing fumigation (as they did have quite a few fruit flies in there!) or worse...

Any ideas?
Wednesday 6 May 2009 8.04pm
I was thinking exactly the same thing, I saw it open on Monday as usual and today saw it boarded up. There's no sign at all up explaining what's going on, just the usual food menus up.

It has been pretty comprehensively boarded up, hope everything's ok.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 10.03pm

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 6 May 2009 11.50pm
i'm not surprised its closed down, i guess none of you went to the back to see the kitchen t, I usually walk past the kitchen 2-3 times per week and the state of the workers & the kitchen is not very pleasant. they had a nasty bunch of people working there, surprised how people rated the food... out of sight, out of mind!

I would not eat there, if it was free!
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next
Current: 4 of 9

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: