Old Kent Road & East Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Sunday 24 February 2008 11.33am
Goodmorning all,

My parents and I were born in south london I was born at 132 OLD KENT ROAD and then lived in some flats at 338 EAST STREET before moving to Essex where I was brought up.

Since I retired I have been putting together the family history and I wondered if anyone could tell me what are at the Old Kent Road and East Street address now,if anyone is interested in family history my fathers ancestors came from FIFE (MURDOCH) and my mothers from FRANCE (ROULLIER) I will always be pleased to hear from anyone also interested in those names, Regards ALF MURDOCH
Sunday 24 February 2008 12.01pm
Alf, I live close by and I don't mind taking some photos of the buildings (or sites) now, if you like?
Sunday 24 February 2008 12.05pm
That East Street number seems very high, but maybe it's longer than I think.
Sunday 24 February 2008 12.39pm
That is very kind of you Andrew photographs would be great I did not mention it before but I have MS and can not get around like I did,regarding the East Street number I got that from a letter sent to my mother I was very young but what I can remember is that in those days it was a block of flats just inside East Street on the left as you come in from the Old Kent Road, you are so kind to reply so quickly and make that offer I live at Ryde on the Isle of Wight so if you ever want anything from here please contact me,Regards ALF MURDOCH
Sunday 24 February 2008 8.01pm
No problem, I will take a look at those addresses next weekend and tell you what I find.
Tuesday 26 February 2008 12.23pm
I had a look this morning at those addresses. There is no 132 Old Kent Road, but number 134 is a block on the corner of OKR and Massinger Street, so 132 must have been across the street where the Lidl store is now. Maybe someone else knows what was there before Lidl?

338 East Street is one of a terrace of 4 new-ish (maybe 1980s) buildings close to the junction of Old Kent Road. It is divided into two flats, Flat A and Flat B. The original East Street houses stop at 334, then 336, 338, 340 and 340a are the new terrace block, then the Indian takeaway is number 342. I asked at the shops opposite if anyone knew what happened to the houses that were there before, and no-one did, although apparently at least one of the residents in the new block has been in the area for many years.

Anyway, if you want to contact the current residents of Flat A or Flat B, the postcode is SE17 2SX.

Hope that is helpful. I did take some photos, so if you want to send me a private message with your email address, I will send them to you.
Tuesday 26 February 2008 12.48pm
Not sure what was in the space now occupied by Lidl.

I believe the flats on East St are in a space which was originally a continuation of the older terrace, but was bombed during the war. The bomb took out part of the East St terrace and some of the houses on the streets behind. My former neighbour told me this - checking the local archives for more info on this is still on my to-do list I'm afraid.

Would that makes sense in terms of the years you lived there, Alf? Or did you live there after the war?

I have read posts on the forum before with others providing info on bomb sites - is there a comprehensive list somewhere?
Tuesday 26 February 2008 5.50pm
I've got bomb site maps showing what damage was done and where the biggest bombs fell - I'll post a photo at the weekend when home.
Wednesday 27 February 2008 10.42am
Thank you for your comments to answer your question I lived in the East Street flats until 1934 then my parents got a council house in Dagenham and that is where I was brought up,by what my mother used to say the flat we had was alive with bugs which was more common in those days,Regards ALF
Saturday 1 March 2008 7.07pm
I attach a link to a photo showing the OKR and East Street war bomb damage map. Black means totally destroyed, purple beyond repair then red through pink to yellow is increasingly minor damage. The pale blue shading is labelled "clearance areas". Sorry it is not too sharp but if you click on "all sizes" it should be reasonably clear. OKR has tram lines down it diagonally in the top right.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22814533@N08/2302023915/in/set-72157603838435963/
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: