SE1 visitor attractions - too expensive for most families?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 24 February 2008 8.20pm
My jaw dropped when I was reading Time Out and saw the prices being charged for one of the new visitor attractions opened in SE1 last week.

The "London Bridge Experience" is apparently charging as follows if you book online:
Quote:
Adult 14.95
Child 10.95
Family (2 adults 2 children) 45.00

plus...
All individual tickets are subject to a 0.95 booking fee per ticket. Family group tickets are subject to a 3.00 booking fee per order.

But even more alarming are the prices if you turn up on spec:
Quote:
What are the current prices on the door?
Adult 19.95
Child 14.95
Student 15.95
Family 69.80
(these are the figures quoted in this week's Time Out)

which makes it more expensive than the gate prices at the Tower of London.

However, I suppose their markey competitor is the London Dungeon, which I discover now charges a princely 20.95 for an adult and 10.95 when booking online for peak weekend slots and implies that the gate price is now 23.95!

Can SE1 sustain two horror attractions so near to each other? Or will this summer see touts for the two venues waving severed limbs at families emerging from London Bridge tube trying to convince them that they are purveyors of the more gruesome experience?

By contrast, the new "Movieum of London"(in County Hall) is charging less than half the asking price of the Star Wars exhibition that was previously occupying the same space:

Movieum prices:
Adults: 8 Children: 5 Concessions: 5

Star Wars prices
Adults 16.50 Children 12.50 Children under 5 go free
Sunday 24 February 2008 8.41pm
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised by The Movieum's pricing - which its founder says is intended to be affordable/accessible - given that everything else around County Hall seems to be extortionately priced.

There will be features on both The Movieum of London and The London Bridge Experience on this site later this week.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 24 February 2008 8.44pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
Can SE1 sustain two horror attractions so near to each other?

I guess so; The London Bridge Experience must have done their research and projections. Hopefully it wont dominate the street like the London Dungeon does with its huge queues blocking the pavement.
Sunday 24 February 2008 8.50pm
The London Bridge Experience have got a planning application in to have this on the Tooley Street facade (under the bridge):

[click for larger version]

Sunday 24 February 2008 10.58pm
One of SE1's best attractions, though, is surely the South Bank itself. One of London's best walks, and it's free.

The Tate Modern is also free.

It's not all over-priced!
Monday 25 February 2008 9.03am
The Imperial War Museum is free. Southwark Cathedral is free.

There is so much that you can do in London for free I don't know why Lang Rabbie should be upset that some commercial ventures manage to take large wads of cash off some tourists, providing employment and prosperity for SE1.

My two favourite places in London are free and uncrowded: Sir John Soane's museum and the Wallace collection, but hush! don't tell anybody.
Monday 25 February 2008 10.44am
From what I saw on the news, the Movieum looks a bit like a resurrection of some of the parts of MOMI I really enjoyed as a child.
Monday 25 February 2008 11.05am
A lot of London experiences, including theatre, are essentially unaffordable if you need to buy tickets for a family of 4.

Great then when locals have opportunities to access these via offers etc. For example I have managed to get 2 restricted view tickets for the upcoming GBS at the Old Vic for my 12 year old and a friend for 5 each. Surrey Cricket Club is a great deal for junior members. The whole family really enjoyed War Horse when my son and I got up early to queue for day tickets at the National. And a couple of years back we went on London Eye after buying cheap tickets via Waterloo Millennium Green for a damp winter afternoon.

Some places like the Unicorn seem determioned to pitch their prices at an accessible level. But agree with Rabbie that there are some places that we would never consider going as they seem only interested in the tourist market, even though differential prices in off-peak seasons would deliver additional revenue and local support.

So Tower Bridge, Aquarium, London Eye etc, offers via this site woudl be welcome and appreciated.
Monday 25 February 2008 1.22pm
A lot of these attractions are covered by occasional 2 for 1 offers for people with Oyster cards, Travelcards or rail tickets so it's worth looking out for those offers. Lastminute.com often have discounted attraction tickets too. Problem is these deals only bring the attractions down to being reasonable value for money instead of extortionate!
Monday 25 February 2008 1.26pm
One local attraction which used to offer a reduced rate to Southwark/Lambeth residents recently told me that they were no longer allowed to do this by law. Not sure how that works.

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: