Tyers Gate Recycling

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 26 February 2008 10.26am
Has anyone noticed the recycling bins have been removed?

First they take the bottle bank, then they shift the bins, then they reduce the frequency with which they empty them, now...they're just gone.

A little sign says the reason was abuse and flytipping.

Not exactly a profound commitment to recycling. I hate to say it, but mine will now end up in the bin and Southwark will end up dealing with it anyway.

Oh, and Southwark increased council taxes again...
Wednesday 27 February 2008 3.24am
Mrs Ed and I noted their absence today - I then spoke with another local regular recycler who commented on the nonsensical approach of Southwark ... fail to empty the bins on a regular basis, they overflow, this is seen as flytipping therefore the source of the problem (ie bins utilised by enthusiastic recyclers) is removed.

You couldn't make it up.
Monday 3 March 2008 9.54am
I think the problem was the businesses from Bermondsey Street using the bins for their recycling and, in some cases, just for waste. I know a couple of people who live on the estate and they said the businesses would dump recycling there late at night - not only an abuse (business recycling is not covered by domestic schemes), but also noisy for residents. I guess it finally got too much. I don't see why the council couldn't tackle this with the local businesses, though, rather than remove the facility for residents.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: