Ring of prayer

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 16 October 2003 5.13pm
Reading the news section of SE1 reminds me that the primates are currently grooming in our manor whilst deciding what to do about the love that dare not speak its name.

Trying to find a less controversial diversion from road closures or fetish clubs, does anyone want to share their thoughts on their dilemma. To kick off, here's a few thoughts that might spark something off:

- what do you think they should do?

- if you're not a card-carrying C of E-er, do you think you have any right to have an opinion (given that, even if you don't practice the religion, it's still nominally the State Religion and so maybe we all have a say in it for that reason at least)?

- does it have any relevence to the non-practising world? Does having this kind of debate make the Church more or less relevant to today's society?
Thursday 16 October 2003 5.44pm
I go to church on a regular basis but I think it woould be a grave mistake to allow only church-goers any say as even I think many of them as rather scary people with even scarier attitudes.

What the C of E does affects the whole country and when you have The Queen as head of the C of E, then it does indeed become a matter for all.

A recent report states that a huge majority of clergy are over 50 years old. It then goes on to say, with stats to back it up, that a congregation is made up of people who are aged 10 years either side of the vicar's age. So it's no wonder that there aren't so many church-goers under 40. Therefore, if only church-goers are having a say, then that's a very restricted number and does not constitute a healthy debate, nor is it very representative of our diverse population.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: