Toilets - TBR/Grange Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 28 February 2008 10.14am
These public toilets have been closed for at least 3 years now and look very grotty (especially next to the shiny new Square). Does anybody know when they are going to be refurbished or what the plan for them is?

Thanks
Thursday 28 February 2008 10.51am
At least twice that long.
Thursday 28 February 2008 3.27pm
Carmens, I wonder if all the copper and lovely wood etc., still remains?
Friday 29 February 2008 11.11am
I am told that it used to be one of the most 'splendid' public toilets in London! Always clean and polished and, I am sure, a Godsend.

It never ceases to amaze me that there is no law in the UK, stipulating for the provision of public loos by local authorities.

There is a woeful lack in this area - and probaably all over London.
Friday 29 February 2008 11.40am
According to the Southwark Council web site, they are working on increasing public toilet provision in the Borough (although I haven't seen any sign of this yet):

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/insertshortname/futuretoilet.html

Compared to most other countries (and especially the US) we have a woeful lack of public loos. Although it has nothing to do with the council, I find it most annoying that most lunch places (Pret, Eat, etc.) don't have loos of their own. It must be a nightmare if you don't have an office nearby (e.g. for tourists).

I emailed the council to find out what's going on with these particular loos. Am disappointed that I never paid them a visit as they sounded spectacular!

Chris
Friday 29 February 2008 11.53am
There was supposed to be an architectural competition to find a new use for the Grange Road loos as part of the Biennale two years ago
(we mentioned the competition here:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2023 )
but I never heard about any outcomes from that.

I'd be surprised if Southwark reopened the toilets. The question of the Grange Road toilets has been raised many, many times at meetings of Bermondsey Community Council and the answer is always that the policy is to make toilets available to the public in other council buildings (eg one stop shops and libraries).

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 29 February 2008 2.33pm
Are there loos in the one stop shop on Spa Road? And do you have to cross your legs from 5pm Friday until 9am Monday?
Friday 29 February 2008 6.50pm
About 2 years ago, someone I know was in the Library in Walworth Road and asked where in the building the toilets were. She was told they were for staff only and to go to McDonalds across the road.
Saturday 16 April 2011 1.37pm
Looks like something is happening in the old TBR/ grange road toilets - someone came out of them today, and there are lots of builders rubbish bags accumulating inside the railings.
Saturday 16 April 2011 4.22pm
simon33 wrote:
Looks like something is happening in the old TBR/ grange road toilets - someone came out of them today, and there are lots of builders rubbish bags accumulating inside the railings.

Waitrose?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: