Where is Newington?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 2 March 2008 3.30pm
So, where is it? (I know where Newington Ward is, but that doesn't agree with where half the maps place Newington.)
Sunday 2 March 2008 5.26pm
I think it's what we now call Elephant & Castle.
Sunday 2 March 2008 8.49pm
I thought it was the area between Borough and Elephant?
Sunday 2 March 2008 10.11pm
I also think its the area round the Elephant, on all sides. It was always distinct from Walworth to the East and Kennington to the west. I guess that now everywhere is joined up with continual development, its a moot point where the boundaries lie of any district which was very separate when it was named. Additional confusion has been created by various administrative districts (wards, parishes etc) not necessarily coinciding with where one would otherwise put the name. I think you can argue about these things for ever.
Sunday 2 March 2008 10.12pm
That's what I have been told after I posted, too.
Sunday 2 March 2008 10.40pm
I thought it was Walworth. Wasn't that once known as St Mary, Newington? I think the name has fallen right out of use, although obviously it's preserved in Newington Causeway and Newington Butts.
Monday 3 March 2008 12.36am
Quote:
NEWINGTON
The parish of Newington lies in the angle between the roads from London Bridge into Kent through Peckham and into Surrey through Kennington and Streatham. The parish was called Newington St. Mary from the church, and Newington Butts from the ancient butts for archery, to distinguish it from the northern suburb of the same name. The soil is Thames alluvium with patches of gravel, and it was formerly very marshy and cut up by ditches, one of which, grandiloquently called Tigris, was passable by boats from Rotherhithe nearly to Newington Church. In 1673 there was an ordinance forbidding the shooting of royal wildfowl that flew over Larrow Moor (otherwise known as Lorrimore or Lower Moor) Pond from the royal estates. An Inclosure Award was made for Newington in 1770, inclosing commons and waste. Lorrimore was given to the lords of the manor, one tenth of Walworth Common to the rector, nine tenths to the overseers to reduce the poor rate.

From: 'Parishes: Newington', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 74-77.

Quote:
NEWINGTON BUTTS.
This place is not mentioned in the Conqueror's Survey, but a church at Walworth is there noticed; whence it seems probable, that at the re-building of that church upon a new site it was surrounded with houses, which obtained the appellation of Neweton, as it is called in all the most ancient records. It was afterwards spelt Newenton, and Newington. There is little doubt but that it received its additional name from the butts placed there for archers to shoot at. The first record, in which it is written Newington Butts, is dated 1558 (fn. 1) . In Henry VIII.'s time butts were set up in the fields near London by authority. There are two patents printed at large in Wood's Bowman's Glory; the one of James I. and the other of Charles I. by which those monarchs ordained that the butts, which had been destroyed in consequence of the inclosures, should be restored as they were in the reign of Henry VIII. (fn. 2) .
Situation, boundaries, extent, &c.
Newington Butts lies in the eastern division of Brixton hundred, at the distance of about a mile from London Bridge. It is bounded by the parish of Lambeth on the west; by that of St. George, Southwark, on the east and north; and by Camberwell on the south. The parish is of very small extent. The land, which is not covered with houses, consists of little more than three hundred acres, about a third part of which is occupied by market gardeners. The remainder is for the most part pasture; the soil, sand and gravel. The parish is assessed 907l. 1s. 8d. to the land-tax, which is at the rate of 1s. 2d. in the pound.
From: 'Newington Butts', The Environs of London: volume 1: County of Surrey (1792), pp. 389-398.

There was a bit further west as well, which explains the location of the churchyard
Monday 3 March 2008 8.50am
Does that mean that Newington Causeway (my bit of road before the Northern Roundabout of the Elephant turns into Borough High St) was a kind of ford?
Monday 3 March 2008 10.16am
Dont forget that large parts of what is now SE1 were marshy ground as recently as the middle ages. St George the Martyr was on a bit of an island, then the ground dipped away again to the south, so I imagine there might have been some sort of causeway, though I would be interested if anyone know more about it.
Monday 3 March 2008 10.27am
Interesting that Trinity Church Square seems to be on higher ground than most of its surroundings when you look at the Environment Agency flood map here.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: