Monday 3 March 2008 12.52pm
The name means "new farmstead" or the newer part of Walworth of which it became the parish. Local administration by the Vestry Boards within the metropolitan area assigned what is usually known as 'Walworth' as the vestry of 'St Mary, Newington'.
The name has now fallen out of common usage because of London's urban sprawl and most residents would refer to the area as either Borough or Elephant and Castle. The name lives on in the streets called Newington Causeway
and Newington Butts
and in the open space Newington Gardens
, formerly the location of Horsemonger Lane Gaol from 1791.
Newington gained in importantance around 1200 with the establishment of Lambeth Palace
nearby, which increased the local traffic. The area remained as a farming village with a low level of population until the second half of the 18th century. There was a little industry, for example, the manufacture of clay pipes for tobacco smoking. In William Shakespeare's time, there was a theatre called Newington Butts
and later there were further theatres.
New roads brought development opportunities. The local landowner and MP for Winchester, Henry Penton, started to sell some of his farmland. The 19th century brought more dense speculative housebuilding, and some philanthropic provision too. The Trinity
House Estate, laid out around a 1820s classical church by Francis Bedford, is still largely in existence.
Trinity Church Square
forms part of a conservation areaThe scientist Michael Faraday was born here, in Newington Butts
, in 1791. The visionary English artist Samuel Palmer was born in Newington in 1805