Rubbish collection in Southwark transformed?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Friday 7 March 2008 12.39pm
hello,

I recently heard that the drastically improved refuse collection in my area of SE1 (Old Kent Rd) is due to Southwark Council using a French refuse collection service. Does anyone know anything about this? I am curious as well as hoping this is a long term arrangement. Refuse collection here now happens really often and everything is left really spick and span, hurrah!
Friday 7 March 2008 1.11pm
How wonderful that your are being regularly cleansed and purified! But how sad that we have to turn to foreign companies to do this.
Friday 7 March 2008 2.58pm
I gather that a French company called Veolia (formerly a Vivendi division) was awarded a 25-year contract for Southwark's waste collection in February 2008.

If they continue to provide an improved service, then <<vive la difference>> !
Friday 7 March 2008 3.24pm
I imagine the staff are the same but different management and more croissants.

Our communal bins area had the bins all over the place this week (New Kent Rd)
Friday 7 March 2008 3.34pm
Wow! There's nothing like a 25-year contract to kill your motivation. Call me cynical but I'll bet you a slice of brie that things are back to normal in a month.
Friday 7 March 2008 3.49pm
The evening before last, walking home from work along Tower Bridge Road and Grange road, the roads and pavements were absolutely spotless. Usually all you notice around the Barclays on the corner is the rubbish blowing along the ground in the wind, but there wasn't a bit of paper anywhere to be seen. So someone has done a fantastic job. I just hope it lasts.
Friday 7 March 2008 4.30pm
It's a long contract, but isn't that because they have to invest a load of cash in new facilities?
Friday 7 March 2008 4.37pm
I wonder the cleaning will extend to the excreta filled subway on new kent road, start of flyover?
Friday 7 March 2008 5.39pm
It would be nicer if they were filling that in, sticking a layer of topsoil and turning those subways into flower beds.
Friday 7 March 2008 5.50pm
It's the small one Reece that goes from bartholomew street accross to searles road...load of schoolkids use it, it's a health risk.
pity they can't plant trees on the roundabout island that flower and fruit!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: