Wheat free bread

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
jw Monday 10 March 2008 9.14am
Hi,

Does anyone know anywhere to buy good wheat free bread? The waitrose at canary wharf doesn't off much choice and the pre-packaged wheat free numbers are like eating foam boards!

Thanks
babybat Monday 10 March 2008 9.18am
Have you tried Flour Power at Borough Market? Failing that, Baldwins on the Walworth road stock a good range of non-wheat flours (spelt, rye etc) and everything you need for home baking.
Luke Monday 10 March 2008 9.19am
Can't vouch for the taste, but Baldwins at the top of Walworth Road (by Larcom St) sells this, though not baked on the premises
HAQ Monday 10 March 2008 10.43am
Yes Sainsburys Free from, You can get most of the stuff online. in the sainsbury's tottenham court road. Or huge sainsburys. In borough market you would get spelt and rye bread, but thay can be quite heavy. The free from range do an amazing pitta and pancakes and white or brown loaf etc. I eat wheat-free and dairy free and there are a lot of options out there. In Fresh and wild or planet organic or wholefoods, you could buy alternative flours and make your own bread. I do that sometimes.
Hope thiat helps.
mogoot Monday 10 March 2008 10.45am
Gail's make a spelt and sunflower loaf made with 100% spelt flower, available at John Lewis Foodhall and Waitrose Marylebone, as well as Gails bakery shops in Hampstead and Notting Hill.

If you're after an imitation white bread, your best bet is probably Antoinette Savill Gluten Free loaf, on Waitrose bread section (not in the Free-From aisle).

Terence Stamp do wheat free breads too.

Thought about a rye bread?
HAQ Monday 10 March 2008 10.54am
PS
the reason i suggested the free-from sainsburys ( i hate shopping at supermarkets, I love the maket), I used to buy spelt and rye bread, but got very ill and turns out my body became intolerant to rye and spelt so from my personal experience as rye, spelt and wheat affect me now I find I am better eating breads made with rice flour and or corn flour. The EnerG bread http://www.ener-g.com/
is really good and light and is sold in big supermarkets too.
jw Monday 10 March 2008 2.55pm
Hi,

Thanks for all the tips. Really ideally after spelt bread if I can find it. I have heard that Gails do a good one, just shame there isn't somewhere locally that sell them.

I find the free-from breads quite unpleasant - just taste and seem really fake.
SheonaC Tuesday 11 March 2008 9.34am
Hi,

Absolutely Starving in Tooley Street now stock a range of Gluten Free foods (GF) including Agluten's GF/Wheat Free Tuscan Focaccia (3 vacuum packed single sized Focaccia to a pack). Just heat in an oven or in a toaster, then drizzle some olive oil over the top before eating. They also have wheat free type of Panettone (see review by "Foods Matter" December 2007), Agluten's Wheat Free/GF Bruschetta - ideal to use as Bruschetta, as crackers for dipping, or just for snacking. They also have some MixWell flours including a Wheat Free Muffins Mix (Look for 'Naturally Gluten Free'). A wide range of wheat free products are also available on-line from Drossa Limited at www.drossa.co.uk.
You might like to also look at "Foods Matter" - they carry out regular reviews of a variety of foods produced for those who may have allergies and/or intolerances. Visit www.foodsmatter.com
"Cross Grain" the magazine produced by the Coeliac Society also carries articles on Wheat Free/Gluten Free breads and other products. Visit www.coeliac.co.uk and see review of Drossa in their February 2008 issue.

Making bread using a wheat free mix is really not at all difficult - you don't need an electric mixer, and you certainly don't need a breadmaker. If you'd like further information please e-mail me directly. Contact details at Drossa.
Bon Appetit!
Sheona
HAQ Tuesday 11 March 2008 6.54pm
There is a guy in Borough market that makes Spelt bread. I stopped buying it because of an intolerance. But its great, he makes it with seeds or plain. I can't remember the name of the stand but he is usually at the end near the Vegan food stand opposite the Monmouth Coffee Company stand inside the market. Hope that helps.
Lesley Gillingham Friday 14 March 2008 10.56am
I know they are expensive but Common Loaf Bakery's bread is to die for. It can be obtained mailorder through www.wheatanddairyfree.com. My favourite at the moment is CommonLoaf's Kalamata Olive and Garlic bread, but even my 'I will only eat fresh white bread' husband likes their Original Spelt Loaf. I have a wheat intolerance and I can eat spelt bread without any problems.

Good luck
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions