Palazzo - cheesy cabaret application

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 13 March 2008 10.09am
A licence application has been submitted by Palazzo (a UK off-shoot of a German company, I think) for an extremely cheesy cabaret venue (open 7 DAYS A WEEK til 1.30AM!) in Southwark Street (literally metres away from my flat!).

In my view, this is entirely inapproriate for the area and would ruin the lives of residents by bring constant and nightly noise, drunkeness (can just the imagine stag/hen nights!), litter and mass disturbance. It would also spoil the general atmosphere around the Borough Market area.

I didn't receive any notice from the Council and was only told about it by a neighbour. So I'd encourage anyone who may be affected to write in with objections (nb you have to make objections based on the statutory grounds).

Thursday 13 March 2008 11.01am
Out of interest, why do you say it's "an extremely cheesy cabaret venue" - have you been to one of their venues?

From the website link, the other venues look quite upmarket and would make for a good night out.
Thursday 13 March 2008 11.14am
fair enough - everyone has their own taste. I certainly don't fancy it - and definitely not on my doorstep. I also don't think it fits in with the Borough vibe.
Thursday 13 March 2008 11.37am
If you look closely, I think you'll find that this is not a permanent establishment, but more of a travelling show in a "Speigletent", like the "Bar Jeder Vernunft" in Berlin. They originated in Belgium, I believe, in the twenties and one makes its appearance in Ediburgh as a jazz venue. It is circular and looks plain on the outside, but inside is full of bevelled mirrors.
Obviously, it depends on the show, but they have a great atmosphere both for a performer and for the audience. I agree it looks a tad cheesy, but it could be terrific (and temporary). I think it might be rather good.....
Thursday 13 March 2008 11.43am
The whole Bankside area was originally the entertainment district for the city of london - cheesy cabarets were permitted here that were considered a bit 'de trop' north of the river. This cabaret is entirely appropriate for the area - much more so than the giant glass office blocks that have been allowed.
Thursday 13 March 2008 12.06pm
Good point, JimG
Thursday 13 March 2008 1.26pm
I think the address is next to the nightclub in the arches? Though the arches are set back from the road.

Looks like a good night out and walking distance from home!

It has always surprised me how quiet (dead) a lot of SE1 is at night given how central it is, and a properly serviced/accessed/staffed venue should on balance add to the area.

Mind you 1am every day even Sundays might be excessive.
Thursday 13 March 2008 1.51pm
It always surprises me when someone who lives in central London are complaining about it being noisy.
Thursday 13 March 2008 2.51pm
There's central London and there's Leicester Square. Personally I think Palazzo looks more appropriate for the latter.
Thursday 13 March 2008 2.55pm
so Jenny if someone ecided to open a night club on your door step for 7 nights a week you would not object?
the noise of people yelling shouting swearing etc car doors banging as people get into cabs. Fights breaking out at 2 am waking your kids up and keeping you awake so life becomes difficult to concentrate atwork and your kids fall behind at school. People being sick etc outside you door/window or standing in the street smoking talking loudly leaving a mess etc?

might be a bit melodramatic but that is the sort of problems you can have not just the noise of music etc but the drunks that go with it.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: