Older people in Southwark wanted

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 13 March 2008 3.08pm

My name is Emily and I work for Participle, a company which designs practical solutions to new social issues and that is working with the DWP and Southwark Council to design new public services for older people in the London Borough.

We have some initial ideas but would like to speak to people living in the area who fall into one of the following

1. People who have low level needs and who are paying for services themselves ie. handyman services or cleaning services.
2. People receiving direct payment from the council.
3. Active people in their 70s.
4. Adult children looking after their parents.
5. People over 50+ looking after others who are also over 50.
6. People who have recently been discharged from hospital.

If you fit into any one or more of those categories, then we'd like to speak to you to get some feedback on our ideas and also to find out what practical help you need yourself and what help the person you are caring for needs. If you fit our criteria and we use you in our project, you will be paid for your time.

If you're interested in helping us out then drop me an email at emilyg@participle.net

I look forward to speaking to you soon.

Friday 14 March 2008 2.42am
So Southwark Council want to have new public services for older people? why can't they just get the old public services right?
Monday 17 March 2008 1.04pm
I wonder how much of our Council tax is getting spent on this initiative? Please tell me that it is worth it!
Monday 17 March 2008 2.50pm
Emily sorry to be dense, what exactly is a low level need?
Tuesday 18 March 2008 8.36am
How old and how low do you have to be to be included in this bracket? I'm pretty old. Actually this very morning someone who has been sub contracted by Southwark to "check out the housing stock in Southwark" is coming to visit ME. Now I'm not opposed to anyone coming to visit me, but all in all my flat is absolutely NOT a typical example of housing in Southwark, and indeed anywhere else. It's a quirky, unusual flat in a funny place with upsides and downsides. However will be interested to know how he will view the very steep stairs which I have been fighting our landlords about to demand a stair lift to allow my parents to come and visit. That's the only reason I'm curous to have him around. But to the point: why is Southwark sub contracting this survey and who and what is paying for it.
Tuesday 18 March 2008 11.18am
Jackie, you have rotten land lords! I thought they may have agreed after all this time...they are poo bags...
Tuesday 18 March 2008 12.30pm
Actually Jan the problem is one of the tenants on our floor (we are only four flats) who "object" to my putting in a stair lift because it "will devalue their property". The reasoning behind this is completely baffling and one would have thought quite the contrary. One can only assume that it is because the landlords wont pay for it, and I said that I was ready to pay for it, and anyone who was ready to chip in could use it, otherwise not. Since these people dont want to stump up any money they have decided that I cant put a chair in - at my expense. Spite and churlishness are to be found in many places I fear. MEANTIME the chap on behalf of Southwark was here. He really was only interested in how the house was heated as far as I can see. Why employ someone to do this survey? Southwark's (and our) money being used to no good purpose in my view.
Tuesday 18 March 2008 1.21pm
Jackie, I am astonished at peoples spitefulness, your not talking about structural damage/painting the walls hotpick. It's not a permanent fixture and when circustances dictate could be removed.

I've changed my mind then Jackie, your fellow tenants are mealey mouthed poo bags.
and the bloke from Southwark council has probably come up to check the health and safety aspect of your fabulous do's that he's read about! and look at the vew...
Tuesday 25 March 2008 9.57am

When I said about low level needs, I meant people who perhaps need help doing their shopping, mowing the lawn and that sort of thing.

We are still looking for people so do give me a call in the office on 020 7089 6950 if you would like to discuss the project further.

Tuesday 25 March 2008 10.05am
P.S. We're interested in talking to people over 50 so even if you're 'very old' you may still be suitable to help us with the project.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: