Why Lant Street?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 15 March 2008 8.14pm
Does anyone know why Lant Street is called that? I've found two meanings of the word. One is a marine fish so seems unlikely. The other is aged urine used for cleaning.
Saturday 15 March 2008 9.02pm
Lant Street, SOUTHWARK, from the south side of Blackman Street to the Southwark Bridge Road, named after the family of Lant, whose estate it was.

From London, Past and Present: Its History, Associations, and Traditions, 1891

See also this re. the Southwark mint/Suffolk Place:
Archbishop Heath sold the premises, which were partly pulled down, many small cottages being built on the site. Some portion of the house which was left became the residence of Edward Bromfield, who was Lord Mayor in 1637. He was owner of the premises in 1650. His son John was created a baronet in 1661, and in 1679 he was described as "of Suffolk Place, Bart.," in the marriage settlement with Joyce, only child of Thomas Lant, son and heir of William Lant, a merchant of London. This estate devolving to the Lant family, we find that in the reign of Queen Anne an Act was passed for the improvement of Suffolk Place, empowering Thomas Lant to let leases for fifty-one years. In 1773 it was advertised to be let as seventeen acres, on which were 400 houses, with a rental of 1,000 per annum. The entire estate was sold early in the present century, in ninety-eight lots, the rental of the estate having been just doubled. The family of Lant are still kept in remembrance by Lant Street, which runs from Blackman Street parallel with Mint Street.

And the history page on the website of the Lant & Trundle TRA.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Saturday 15 March 2008 9.03pm
According to the London Encyclopaedia (Weinreb and Hibbert) Lant Street was built 1770-1800 and named after the family who owned the land. Amber
Saturday 15 March 2008 9.27pm
thanks. There are a lot of intriguing street names round here. How about Gibbons rents!?
Sunday 16 March 2008 1.35am
Gibbons Rents was simply a small street containing a building owned by a person called Gibbon(s) who rented it out - see also Wilds Rents.
Sunday 16 March 2008 11.08am
My personal favourite is Great Maze Pond.
Sunday 16 March 2008 11.21am
Like other folks here I find the derivation of London street names fascinating.

There are a few here.

Also, try using Google Book Search to see if a street is mentioned in books that have been scanned. To obtain an accurate search as possible, enclose the street name in quotes before pressing the Search button, eg "Boss St".

Here is a search for Tooley St.
Sunday 16 March 2008 1.13pm
It's also worth search for both St and Street, Rd and Road etc.

- and both with and without apostrophes where appropriate.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 21 March 2011 5.24pm
I am looking for info on Lant Place. If anyone know the location of where this was? I cannot find it on a map.

thank you

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: