Tabard Gardens TMC ballot

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 21 October 2003 6.34pm
Just received ANOTHER leaflet advising that the counting and
result of the ballot as to whether Tabard Gardens should remain
with the TMC or go back to Southwark council will take place at
Hankey Hall at 7pm on Tue. 28th Oct.
I will be interesting to see how the vote goes. I voted NO even
though I'm sure the result will be a resounding YES. I didn't
want the TMC to have an overwhelming victory and feel they
could then continue in their lackadaisical manner. Strategy.
Wednesday 22 October 2003 11.33am
I think you'll be surprised. I don't think the TMC continuation ballot will be that one sided. In fact I wouldn't be at all surprised if there was a 'NO' majority.

As far as I'm concerned it's trying to pick the lesser (marginally) of two (extreme) evils. Well, maybe not evils as such, just the lesser of two inefficient, self-obsessed, personal political back-biting and point scoring bodies. Who will do the most for Tabard Gardens? Probably neither. The one organisation that would have made a difference, The Peabody Trust (or any other Housing Association), no longer seems to be in the equation.
Wednesday 22 October 2003 2.27pm
I couldn't agree more. I was really annoyed when the Peabody
ballot was abandoned. I'm sure that would have been a yes for transfer.
However I think most residents prefer having the TMC office local
and as you say the Council would be as inefficient as the TMC so
I think we will remain TMC until we get another chance for a
Peabody vote.

Tuesday 28 October 2003 1.34pm
I think it's today that is the 'count up' day for the votes in the Tabard Tenants Management Committee continuation ballot. If anyone's going to the meeting tonight where the votes are counted it would be great if you could post the outcome on this forum at your earliest.

Cheers
Wednesday 29 October 2003 2.53pm
I have worked with several TMC's in the past which were greatly improved mainly through good management. It's disappointing that you feel this way - what went wrong?

Modigliani
Wednesday 29 October 2003 3.03pm
Errr...where to begin? I short, shockingly bad management. I agree, TMCs can be vastly more effective at managing a housing estate if they operate well. Tabard Gardens TMC didn't opertate well at all. Moves have been afoot to alter things for the better and the guy in charge now, John Everrett, is making headway. Unfortunately the elected board are still bogged down in petty politics, pushing their own agendas and back biting; certainly not working together for the greater good of the Tabard Gardens residents.

Telling statistic: during the Tabard Gardens TMC's tenure the estate has slipped from being one of the better of Southwark's estates in terms of repairs, state of housing stock etc etc to being in the bottom three.
Thursday 30 October 2003 5.33pm
Any more news on this?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 30 October 2003 6.11pm
Not from me. Tried calling the Tabard Gardens TMC at 3:15pm yesteray but the office was closed for the day. Haven't had a chance today. I'm sure there'll be a flyer proclaiming victory for which ever side one (the pro or anti TMC lobby) shortly.
Thursday 30 October 2003 7.15pm
I asked a few of my neighbours in passing today but none knew
the result. I think that sums up the apathy of the residents --
including myself, and the casual and tardy performance of the TMC.
Thursday 30 October 2003 7.53pm
Yes James, I am a Tabard resident and went to the ballot count and announcement of the result, which was in favour of the TMC continuing to manage the estate, by about 60-40. The turnout was fairly good too. I will post the exact figures when they become available.

Tabard Estate has been through some horrendous times recently, for all sorts of reasons. I am pleased that people have now endorsed the idea of having resident control, but there is a long way to go to rebuild trust. In addition to the usual apathy, even people who do want to participate havent got a clue what to make of the recent torrents of conflicting propaganda, and are turned right off by the awful meetings and personalities who seem unable to focus on improving things but would rather waste everyones time disproving the 'opposition'. My hope is that the dynamic new director can help spend our estate's money effectively and re-establish genuine rather than nominal resident involvement, and in a few years the estate will be a fantastic place with a vibrant community.

To any Tabard residents reading this, I would say that the more people decide to have nothing to do with the management of the estate, the longer the back-biters and political agenda-pushers will remain in control. The committees need ordinary, sound, committed residents urgently! This is not a condemnation of those not involved - I totally understand that its not everybody's cup of tea, and that recent events couldn't have been more off-putting. But the only way to improve things is for a bunch of people to get involved who, as Ants puts it, are capable of "working together for the greater good of the Tabard Gardens residents".

T.U.Ms. Jo
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: