Guinness in SE1?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 17 March 2008 2.12pm
I'm looking for recommendations for a quiet (!) pub for Guinness around Tower Bridge today. Am totally knackered, so I couldn't handle O'Neills or a similar party pub, but feel like a pint of the black stuff would go down nicely.

Any ideas?
Monday 17 March 2008 2.36pm
It's not that close to Tower Bridge, but The Gladstone on Lant Street does good Guinness.
Monday 17 March 2008 2.47pm
The George used to do a nice guinness in tower bridge road..i feel a bit thirsty now..
Monday 17 March 2008 4.22pm
Doesn't the Gladstone have a certain, um, reputation?
Monday 17 March 2008 4.25pm
No. That's no longer the case.
Monday 17 March 2008 4.51pm
"reputation"? Whatever do you mean?
Monday 17 March 2008 4.57pm
No, indeed. No one speaks to me if I go in there nowadays ;0)

In answer to original query, The Marigold does Guinness, is nr TBR, and is an OK pub. I've also got to say that imho all Guinness tastes pretty much the same (leaving out the extra strength African stuff). Before you all flame me and start going on about Dublin Guinness and UK Guinness, I can say that I've drunk both in liberal quantities over the years and they taste the same. Mind you, I also subscribe to the view that Guiness tastes the same whether you pull a pint straight through, or whether you go through the whole marketing-based palaver of pouring half a pint, waiting until the hope dies from the customer's face, and then pouring the other half).

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 17 March 2008 5.01pm
All our Guinness is made in Dublin now. The Park Royal brewery has been closed down.
Monday 17 March 2008 5.09pm
yep, the waiting for a Guinness is a real pain especially if they are busy and forget you and your 1/2 pint sitting there getting warm and flat.

Waxy O'Connor's would not serve me a Guinness when I asked if they could just pour it straight out. The lady pointed to the Guinness pourer's certificate on the wall, which defined the standing times and the rest of the rigmarole certified pourers have to go through. Was a splendid pint though.
Monday 17 March 2008 5.14pm
and anyway, in certain parts of the world, Paddy's Day has already gone.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: