Credit crunch and the Elephant & Castle regeneration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
PJ
Tuesday 18 March 2008 8.44pm
Does anyone think that the credit crunch will derail regeneration projects like Elephant and Castle. I don't mean the private sector projects like Strata already underway but the Southwark/Lend Lease scheme.
Wednesday 19 March 2008 10.57am
Yes. I was speaking to a rather senior property person yesterday evening (sorry that sounds quite so pompous). He isn't involved in the Elephant scheme at all, although he did some work for Southwark earlier this century. However his gut feeling was that whilst what is there may be demolished, it won't be rebuilt.
PJ
Wednesday 19 March 2008 11.57am
I agree I can't see the new shopping street coming off at all in the way planned. The whole regeneration has been too badly co-ordinated and now the economic tide has turned against them. I bet the developers are wishing they could get out of it.

If anyone is more optimistic I would love to hear their reasons why.
Wednesday 19 March 2008 2.28pm
Yes I am optimistic. I work in the planning world, and apparantly know a bit about what I am talking about (though I am not letting on further). Whilst credit crunch is biting hard in property as elsewhere, you can be confident that most "headline" projects will proceed. E&C has the "headline" quality - location, location, location. Whilst you would be mad not to expect delay likely, you would be to think it will not happen. I might also bravely suggest nothing will be demolished at the shopping centre if what is going in its place is not a dead cert.
PJ
Wednesday 19 March 2008 2.33pm
So the lovely infamous shopping centre might stay. I always suspected as much!
Wednesday 19 March 2008 4.56pm
It's regneration has been delayed so much already nothing surprises me. I can see a paint job coming along. I wonder what colour next!!
PJ
Wednesday 19 March 2008 8.50pm
Precisely! I am so disillusioned with it. So many people have raved about it since the late 90's and here we are not planned out properly! The private sector has moved in selling (over priced) flats on the basis of the puported regeneration efforts.

I hope anyone thinking of buying into these private overpriced schemes realises what a load of phooey the regeneration promises are. Look no further than our still extant subways/walkways.
PJ
Thursday 20 March 2008 4.38pm
I contacted Lendlease to see when contracts would be signed and whether they thought the credit crunch would impact on plans. Their response;

Not yet signed, they'll definitely be a press release when it is.

The second question is a bit nebulous - it wont affect plans, there is an absolute unequivocal commitment to regenerating E & C and indeed it has already started. Might it affect programme? Difficult to say, no one has a crystal ball but everyone knows the property market has slowed down as has the stockmarket and lending. I think we all have to wait and see, but rest assured things are moving forward.
Friday 21 March 2008 12.04am
I think what GaryS means is that the shopping centre won't be demolished until whatever is replacing it is confirmed, not that it will be staying forever.
PJ
Friday 21 March 2008 11.09am
Not good news for the area and rather uncertain for the current traders. Since the regeneration has been in the pipeline since 1998 and still no major components completed it is a bit of a shambles.

I can't see the area undergoing the regeneration until 2020.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: