Credit crunch and the Elephant & Castle regeneration

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5
TAK Wednesday 16 April 2008 11.58am
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Oh THAT one...where the petrol station was. Come to think of it, I dont know what the hold up is. Will enquire!

No, that's yet another site. Speaking of which would be interesting to know what's happening or is planned there.

The student housing is basically gonna be built between the railway and Julian Markam House, replacing the existing garage / worshop that's there at present.

Planning Application 08/AP/0528
TAK Wednesday 16 April 2008 12.11pm
TAK wrote:
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
Oh THAT one...where the petrol station was. Come to think of it, I dont know what the hold up is. Will enquire!

I've come to answer my own question - There is a planning application for the Ex- Petrol Station / Burger King site:

Erection of a part 4, part 5, part 7 and part 8 storey building providing for a mixed use development comprising a total of 73 new dwellings and 724 square metres of commercial (Use Class A1, A2, A3, A4) floorspace on ground floor level with associated amenity space, disabled only car parking, bicycle parking stands, amendment to public highway and landscape improvement works.
Planning Application 07/AP/2924
James Hatts Wednesday 16 April 2008 12.13pm
There was a thread about the Burger King site here just over a year ago:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/63746

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
jackie rokotnitz Wednesday 16 April 2008 12.28pm
Oh of course I know what's proposed, but why they arent getting ON with it is what I'm wondering. They've had the site and the plans for ages. Will check.
Zappomatic Wednesday 16 April 2008 2.51pm
I go past the petrol station site on the bus every day - there are usually three shiny black lorries and some kind of caravan type thing, plus a few people milling around. I'm pretty sure I saw some camera equipment one day but could be wrong.

Oh and round the corner on the Printworks site there are a couple of men with a JCB drill thing... probably some kind of site survey.
TAK Wednesday 16 April 2008 3.04pm
Zappomatic wrote:
I go past the petrol station site on the bus every day - there are usually three shiny black lorries and some kind of caravan type thing, plus a few people milling around. I'm pretty sure I saw some camera equipment one day but could be wrong.
Oh and round the corner on the Printworks site there are a couple of men with a JCB drill thing... probably some kind of site survey.
\
I think the petrol station site may be used as a filming locations until construction works start - I believe same has taken place at Oakmayne Plaza site.
drog Friday 9 May 2008 4.39pm
Has anyone got an update on whats happening with the regeneration ?
INDOMIE Friday 9 May 2008 9.36pm
It would be interesting to know whether any buyers at Castle House/Strata have started to pull out? These type of developmnts are looking quite risky now for short-medium term holders, and if other developments get put on hold, that makes this site even less attractive...worse still...the E&C shopping centre gets listed! I never saw that one coming! Does anyone know what has happened with that at all by the way?
Lang Rabbie Saturday 10 May 2008 9.43am
INDOMIE wrote:
...worse still...the E&C shopping centre gets listed! I never saw that one coming! Does anyone know what has happened with that at all by the way?

The story in the Southwark News of 31 March stated "An application to list the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre will be placed this week". If the application (by a trader based in the centre???) ever got made, then I suspect that English Heritage will have got further than drafting a letter of acknowledgement.

Despite the E&C Shopping Centre's claims to being the UK's fist covered shopping centre, I doubt that even the most committed social historian on EH's post-war listings team could pull together a credible case for listing the E&C.

One precedent to note is that the argument about a shopping centre's early functional /commercial failure appears to have been a deciding factor in EH's decision not to recommend listing of the Tricorn Centre in Portsmouth a couple of years ago. The top floor of the E&C (more recently the Bingo) was converted from shops to office space/the DHSS canteen some thirty years ago having been empty and untenanted from only a few years after opening.

There would be a certain irony if the much more architecturally distinguished Alexander Fleming House (Metro Central Heights) next door remains unlisted.

(BTW The Twentieth Century Society is campaigning for some of Kennedy's Sausage Shops to be listed - now that is a bit of South London retail history that I think we should preserve)
James Hatts Sunday 11 May 2008 4.29pm
drog wrote:
Has anyone got an update on whats happening with the regeneration ?
Latest from regeneration boss Cllr Paul Noblet:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3296
(scroll down to sub-heading "Progress on wider Elephant & Castle regeneration")

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 4 of 5

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions