Problems with recycling clear bag collection

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 18 March 2008 11.34pm
I hope it is just teething problems with the new systems and new contract, but the recycling clear bag collection has gone totally haywire in my area. My block has had only one collection in the last 4 weeks, with bags piling up in the car park and walkways. At my residents' meeting tonight it seems that other blocks have had a similar breakdown in service. Anyone else having problems?

I have located the person responsible in the council and emailed her directly (it is a 100% waste of time using the "contact centre"), and she has now arranged for my block's bags to be collected, but she has her work cut out to sort out all the other blocks, judging from a walk round the area and talking to a few locals. I hope it gets sorted soon, I wouldn't like to see people getting disillusioned with separating their waste.
Wednesday 19 March 2008 10.19am
I initially had a problem when they changed the day of collection but it seems to be back on track again. Hopefully it's just teething problems.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 6.28pm
We have once again had no collection of clear bags, fourth or fifth week in a row. Have had to call the call centre so they have collected day or two later. I don't think many people around here bother with recycling any more with the service being so bad. It did work perfectly until early March here. Could the OP please send me the details of the person in charge so I can start pestering them as well...
Tuesday 8 April 2008 7.19pm
Same problem in Haddonhall est. It's all very well the council splashing out on advertising the wonderful service, but having it fail after a few weeks must turn people away from recycling. Come on Southwark council, get a grip.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 8.12pm
Stupid to mess it up so close to the elections as well, then again not sure which party has the worst record in messing things up anymore.

Can't see people getting back into sorting their rubbish until it actually works again and after another expensive campaign. More money down the drain.
Thursday 10 April 2008 7.15pm
I know of people in Rotherhithe who have been waiting for over 3 weeks for bags - having called because they hadn't had any for 2 weeks........making 5 weeks!
Wednesday 23 April 2008 9.51am
Managed to catch one of the collectors outside my flat this morning... apparently our collection date has been changed to Wednesday, not that anybody told us. Much use phoning the call centre for 6 weeks on Tuesdays to complain, when they did not know to tell me the day had changed either.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: