Incident on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 20 March 2008 10.08pm
I was walking home with my girlfriend from work this evening down Bermondsey Street when a couple of teenagers approached us and one of them knocked into her, nearly knocking her over. I of course shouted at them to be more careful and they both marched up to me and whilst one offered me out for a fight the other spewed racist abuse at my girlfriend - 'chinky slag' to be precise.

Now, being a reasonable kind of guy - who also doesn't want top get sent down for battering minors black and blue, I kindly told the two little vagrants to get lost before I lost it. However, I am still very irritated at this (enough to register and post on this website!) and also I recognised the teenagers as locals on Tower Bridge road. The young fellow that was spewing the abuse at my other half is the son of a regular in the local Ladbrokes betting shop. His father is the sidekick (middle aged white guy) to the Indian alchoholic guy who hangs around either costcutter or Ladbrokes on tower bridge road drinking Holsten Pils every day - just down from the Hartleys. These two are always knocking about there together so if your local you probably know who I'm talking about.

So, my question is this - what is the best way to tackle this behavior - clearly they need a good hiding but the kids know that you can't touch them.

I'm going to find the father tomorrow.
Friday 21 March 2008 12.50am
Best thing to do is go to Borough Police Station on Friday to report it. Don't go looking for the parents. If the kids are anything to go by, they have no respect for anyone. Due to the nature of the words used, the police will have to treat it as a priority to investigate...
Friday 21 March 2008 1.22am
I agree, you should report it to the police. I am aware of the two "gentlemen" you refer to and you won't get anywhere tackling this kid's father.
all the best,
Auntie Pat
Friday 21 March 2008 9.19am
Jobull, do watch out. #Confronting this guy (the father) could lead to a very disagreeable situation. Particularly if he is a regular part of your neighbourhood. It could be that he may lie in wait for you a week or two down the line and "get you" for rubbishing his perfect little boy. Alas this "dont you dare touch mylittle Johnny" attitude is too prevalent among parents these days - that's what the teachers are suffering. They cant dicipline the kids because the parents dont support them. Ugh! What happened to our gentle and gracious country?
Friday 21 March 2008 11.11am
Thanks, probably a knee-jerk reaction thinking of going to talk to the father! I was fuming! It's frustrating that the kids know they can get away with what they want to nowadays, no respect anymore. grumble grumble ;)cheers for the replies/advice!
Friday 21 March 2008 4.03pm
Wait for them to grow up & serve them then.
Saturday 22 March 2008 6.47pm
Now you can understand the frustration we can have as teachers. It is amazing to see adds to promote the job of teachers (I have never seen such adds in France, Germany or Spain). Recently, a teacher slapped a kid in a school in France after being called a bastard, the prime minister supported the teacher. Maybe, the useless goverment we have should do the same instead of spending taxpayers´money on adds in the press.
Education, education, education said T Blair after sending his kids to a top comprehensive school. At least, it was a comprehensive school when other members of his party sent their offsprings to private schools.
Good luck but the confrontation is useless. Their parents are probably as bad and poorly educated.
Saturday 22 March 2008 9.23pm
Suffering such abuse is hard to swallow but I can assure you that it's well worth not stepping up to these kids. I've seen too many suffered in the hospital as a consequence. It's just not worth it ended up in intensive care with a brain damage, etc. The law is not on our side but one can only report it to the police and wait for a miracle to happen.
Sunday 23 March 2008 1.42pm
I don't think you should even report it to the police if you live near these people.
Sunday 23 March 2008 7.45pm
Beetroot - Do you have a constructive suggestion of how this incivility can be confronted or fought? Or are you willing to cede control of our public spaces to a tiny minority of cowards, thugs and vandals?

JoBull - do let us know how you got on if you went to the police.

Phil
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: