Old Kent Road (artists)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
k
Thursday 23 October 2003 3.57pm
Walmart, the largest corporation in the world has bought over asda and are intending to make another supermarket on the old kent road near tesco.

Campaigners believe that this would lead to degeneration of the local community and negatively effect pollution, local businesses, etc. considering that stretch of the old kent road is already full of supermakets.
We feel that the space should instead be used as a free open community space of some sort, which the area lacks.

It could be in the form of adventure playground, climbing walls, graffitti art space, chill out/reading space, etc etc....whatever the community needs, rather than another superchain.

WE would like artists and creative minded people living around the area to come and do some art installations, paintings,landscaping, experimental stuff or anything at the proposed site as a part of our ongoing protest.

If you would like to get involved, please contact creative_resistance_london@hotmail.com
Friday 24 October 2003 10.34am
Well you've obviously never been into OKR Tescos. Desperately needs some competition.

Waitrose is the only sort of shopping that is worthwhile, why on earth don't you do something useful - rather than encouraging graffitti - and campaign to get a Waitrose on that site instead.
Saturday 25 October 2003 7.06am
To start with, we don't know who owns the land. If Walmart have bought the site, then they are going to want to build on it. Argument that it should be a 'community space' are not going to work, artists or not, if the site is in private ownership. No business is going to use a commercially viable piece of land as an open space. If the Council owns it, yes in theory it could become open space, but in practice most unlikely. Land is probably in the Development Plan as retail, particularly as Burgess Park is nearby, and of course there are issues of maintenance where open space is concerned.

Planning Committee can't legally turn down an application on grounds of competition, although I do agree about the threat to small shops and shopkeepers. Pollution from delivery vehicles etc is a valid argument but this would probably be the same whatever sort of retail the site was used for, not just Asda. I have a feeling that this application will be difficult to refuse - Asda is cheap and often better quality than Lidl or Aldi, and there are a lot of not very well off people around. Shopping in the Old Kent Road Tesco's is a pretty grim experience and many people might be pleased to have a choice.

Fact is that Burgess Park is a big open space but underused. It never really worked, for all sorts of reasons, including security issues, but drawing all over a vacant piece of land a bit further up the road isn't going to achieve anything. Sorry to be negative, but that's the way it is.
Saturday 25 October 2003 11.02am
please let's have some opposition to Tesco. Their OKR branch is atrocious which has been stated in may threads by many people. Tescos have had it to comfortable in the area for too long. I am generally against the giant retailers as I like the personal service from someone who may know about the product I am interested in buying, but Tesco has somewhat cornered the area.
jan
Monday 27 October 2003 6.59am
Exactly where in Old Kent Road is it intended to be? is it opposite the Avondale Square area? All the Asda stores I have been to have always been in more open areas with massive car parks. the service and products are invariably good.

Is there residential properties nearby? would having a superstore on their doorstep possibly with twelve hour opening times affect them.. Would the lorries have to make deliveries during the night..

While I love shopping at Asda I feel uneasy about this because it is another chunk of commercial enterprise ( dunno if thats exactly what I mean!) but more small shops are going to have to close because no way will they be able to compete with these large mega stores. When the supermarkets started to take over all the small butchers, fishmonger, greengrocers, bakers, disappeared.

In our small street 20 years ago we had a butchers and greengrocers..no longer...

Hilary is right about the safety issues in Burgess Park, I would only go armed with a can of Mace..it has much potential but until society changes it violent nature will remain unused.. that said lets hope no one decided to build on that! we need the visual beauty of a large green area..without ugly concrete estates built on it..
Several years ago a young friend of mine had a brilliant idea of opening up a small putting green/ or was it golf, it was knocked back I think because ' sarrffff londunners' would not be interested!

p.s. went to T's in o.k.r it's the attitude of some of the staff on the tills that get me..

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: