Abbey Street & Congestion Charge zone

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Jan the old one Tuesday 25 March 2008 4.45pm
Is Abbey Street within the congestion Zone?
I have looked at the map but it is not very clear. Daughters boyfriend drove down tower bridge road from the brick. turned into Abbey street then had photo of car in abbey st. sent with a penalty charge. He paid straight away i said he should have challenged it?

Advertisement

chuckalata Tuesday 25 March 2008 5.02pm
Abbey Street on the right as you come up TBR? That's not in the C charge, which starts on Long Lane opposite. Unless they've changed it...
Ivanhoe Tuesday 25 March 2008 5.03pm
According to this http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/roadusers/congestioncharge/whereandwhen/#section-1 Abbey St is outside the zone

...if you press it, they will come.
James Hatts Tuesday 25 March 2008 5.25pm
Remember that there is a section of Abbey Street west of Tower Bridge Road (and thus in the CC zone)

Long Lane doesn't start till the junction with Bermondsey Street.

This is incorrectly shown on some maps, including Google Maps.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
The Mapmaker Tuesday 25 March 2008 6.08pm
It's simple. Inside the ringroad is in; outside the ringroad is out.
Jan the old one Tuesday 25 March 2008 6.19pm
I said that james, but unless the view shown is incorrect showing the c charge, he should not have paid. If he was driving down from the brick. and turned right into abbey street then the charge should now have applied!
Jerry Wednesday 26 March 2008 9.32am
I would guess that instead of turning right into Abbey Street from TBR he has gone down the first bit of Bermondsey Street and turned right into Abbey Street at it's junction with Long Lane. This would put him in view of the cameras and in the zone. An easy mistake to make, and an arguably safer right turn, sadly thanks to Ken, that'll cost!
Jan the old one Wednesday 26 March 2008 10.34am
That's possible Jerry, but I am sure the photo did not show that little bit near the graveyard?
graham Wednesday 26 March 2008 7.14pm
Jan, et al
1 What/where is 'the brick'?
2 When you say down, do you mean up, as in northbound?
The tricky bit is up (as in up north) near Tower Bridge, where you must turn left after the main road (Queen Elizabeth St), then double back (Tooley St) as you can't turn right into Tooley St at the lights, I often see car drivers trying to back out of the west-bound western part of Fair Street, after they have seen the cameras, causing traffic chaos. I understand that Ken can't ride a bike, does he ever drive?
Jan the old one Thursday 27 March 2008 10.55am
Sorry Graham,

The Brick is the Bricklayers arms roundabout, going down is towards tower bridge or as you quite rightly say Northbound!
As Jerry said to turn right into Abbey St. is a bit of a nightmare and lots of people do just what jerry said, but the boyfriend did not i asked him!

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions