E&C Shopping Centre

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Thursday 27 March 2008 10.48am
Front page of the Southwark News today suggests that the awful shopping centre at the Elephant is going to be listed. What do people make of this? It seems like another in a long line of problems for the 're-development'.
Thursday 27 March 2008 11.48am
This is a joke, right?
Thursday 27 March 2008 11.51am
Thursday 27 March 2008 11.52am
Wasn't it the first of its kind in Europe?
"Earth has not anything to show more fair
Dull would he be of soul who could pass by a sight so touching in its majesty."
Give me a sledge-hammer and I'll start the demolition myself!
Thursday 27 March 2008 11.59am
This is probably the ugliest building in the UK. How on earth could it be listed? It needs to be torn down ASAP.
Thursday 27 March 2008 12.39pm
Hahahaha! I have a very soft spot for that shopping centre, its majestic pinkness standing out from the brutal concrete all around and marking the way home from my granny's in Whitechapel to Maidstone when my dad couldn't face driving down the A12 when I was a child. Granted, the inside could do with some serious sprucing up and better lighting and the shops could almost all be replaced with far better ones (Tlon Books and La Bodeguita being an exception) and the outside could do with a repainting in that wonderful hot pink and the removal of the hideous and redundant tower above it. After that, I think it could all be wonderful again!
Thursday 27 March 2008 1.00pm
This is what needs to happen to the shopping centre... along with Perronet House and most of the other buildings in the area -

Thursday 27 March 2008 1.09pm
Yes I heard that it is going to be listed too and that the new shopping street is not going ahead as planned. Jackie have you any insight from your contacts?
Thursday 27 March 2008 1.10pm
Not a joke - it's all over the front page of the Southwark News!
Thursday 27 March 2008 1.18pm
Looks like kite-flying to me...from Southwark News site...
26 March 2008

An application to list the Elephant and Castle Shopping Centre will be placed this week - which could scupper the existing 1.5 billion regeneration plans.

However the applicants, who wish to remain anonymous at this stage, are clear the existing building can work within the plans.

If the application was accepted by English Heritage it would mean any area that is protected, which could include the shell of the building, will have to be incorporated into any development plans.

Read the full story in tomorrow's paper.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: