Scam on Bankside

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 27 March 2008 5.13pm
I don't know if I am the only one who has noticed this but I am certain there are hundreds of people affected by this scam.
I was once stopped by a guy who claimed that his wife was giving birth and needed money for a taxi to take her to hospital because his car wasn't working or something.
This was months ago and due to his fake panicked state this is all I can remember from what he said.

You can imagine my surprise when a few weeks later on my way home I saw the guy saying the same thing to other people.
I saw him again last night on the Thames path by the FT at around 10.30pm. I have seen him other times around the area up to the Tate Modern.
Last night I got really frustrated and I wanted to confront him which my bf stopped me from doing, luckily.I was told that the police wont be able to do anything about it.
Maybe writing this can help. Don't give him any money because he drinks it but people believe his story, just like I did.
He is around 5 foot 5' in his 50s. Greasy brushed back hair and blueish eyes. He wears a white shirt and black trousers. He is likely to flash a large set of keys and a mobile phone so you think he is genuinely needing 20 for a cab.

Hope this helps,
Thursday 27 March 2008 6.37pm
I think this is the same guy who asked me two evenings in a row, on Great Suffolk Street, for "1 towards a tank of petrol because my car has run out". This was a couple of years ago. He had a petrol can to make his story even more convincing!!
Thursday 27 March 2008 7.07pm
Thanks for the warning cristi.

I managed to evade a similar(ish) scam recently. A scruffy youngish chap had managed to get into the stairwell of the block of flats that I live in. He had a (very scruffy and obviously picked out of the bin and bearing the name of a neighbour I know very well) piece of school headed paper in his hands - said he was from next door and that he was collecting for his son's sponsored walk. Luckily I know everyone in the next door block - and besides had already seen the name on the headed paper. He was bigger than me though and I was alone so I just said - "I can't do anything now, I've not been to the bank - I'll pop something through your letter box tomorrow". Luckily he accepted that and went on his way. Cheeky b*****@@ etc
Thursday 27 March 2008 8.16pm
I knew I remembered this - he's apparently been doing it since at least 2004:
Friday 28 March 2008 2.28pm
I can remember him prowling Tooley Street with this scam on a couple of occasions in 2001/2002, wearing exactly the same clothes! About time he invested some of his ill-gotten gains in to his costume.
Friday 28 March 2008 4.39pm
He's been doing that for over 10 years around here. I offered to drive him to the hospital once.
Good luck to him.
Saturday 5 April 2008 12.43pm
There's another guy often around Borough High Street, I'm guessing it's a different guy by the sounds of things, but this one is regularly around BHS on weekends asking for money (and shouting abuse at those he does not get it from). He claims to have a daughter who has just been let out of guys hospital after having treatment for leukemia and needing to get home back to Bournemouth by train from London Bridge but that he's about 10 short and needs the money. I see him around BHS doing this most weekends. Sometimes he uses a different story that his wife has just kicked him out of his house and he needs money to get the train back to a mates house but all his money is still in the house. He gets verbally abusive sometimes if you don't give him money so watch out!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: