Anyone sending children to school in Dulwich?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 27 March 2008 7.19pm
Is anyone else sending their children to school in Dulwich?

My daughter starts at JAPS in September when she will be 4 and I am looking to get in touch with other mums who might want to lift share.

You can contact me at lucy_pickering@hotmail.com or 07900 917308
Friday 28 March 2008 9.37am
why not send her to a local school and walk?
Friday 28 March 2008 11.07pm
What are the local schools like?
Saturday 29 March 2008 2.21pm
primary schools in se1 and se17 are not bad actually

its only for older kids they become a bit of a basket case
Sunday 30 March 2008 11.45pm
JAPS gets a rating as one of the best private schools in the country. However, you have to question whether driving for 2 hours each day (an hour for each round trip from SE1 in heavy rush hour traffic) is really worth the negative experience for the child of being stuck in a car for that long.
Monday 31 March 2008 7.37am
I must be missing something. Referring to the original post I can't see where it says "Please feel free to comment on my decision to send my child to a school of my choice".

I thought Lucy's question about a lift share was a good use of the SE1 forum. I often suggest to friends to use the forum to do just this. I know everyone is entitled to their opinion and it is a public forum. But c'mon guys be reasonable. These sorts of negative responses do put people off posting.
Monday 31 March 2008 8.59am
Julie,
I agree, I thought the original response was a little harsh. I posted for the first time last week about advice on a local barbers on behalf of my boyfriend and various comments suggested I should be suspicious of a man who can't sort out his own hair cuts and that the price he was prepared to pay suggested masculine insecurities - kind of put me off asking for advice via this forum in the future!
Monday 31 March 2008 9.09am
I think one of the problems with posting messages online is that peoples' tones aren't accurately transmitted. Comments that would sound questionning or helpful in real life come out sounding rude and abrupt.

Yes, sometimes people hid behind their keyboards to make rude comments, but I think maybe a lot of arguments could be prevented by at least assuming some degree of charity from both poster and respondee.
Monday 31 March 2008 10.27am
babbs wrote:
Julie,
I agree, I thought the original response was a little harsh. I posted for the first time last week about advice on a local barbers on behalf of my boyfriend and various comments suggested I should be suspicious of a man who can't sort out his own hair cuts and that the price he was prepared to pay suggested masculine insecurities - kind of put me off asking for advice via this forum in the future!
That was me Babs. I am sorry if it put you off posting again. Genuinely. I'll try to moderate my behaviour in future, because that's unacceptable.

(I still think your boyfriend, who I assume is an adult, could possibly organise his own haircuts, and I still think men are crazy paying 25 for a haircut, but I recognise the need to keep those opinions to myself depending on who I'm talking to)

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 31 March 2008 2.30pm
Ivanhoe, thanks for your response.

With regards to arranging his own haircuts, he's 28 years old so yes very capable of arranging his own haircut however, as I had already signed up to this site prior to our move, during a chat between the two of us about a new hairdressers in the area I said 'I know, why don't I post on that site and see what the local's recommend' as simple as that, I really don't see why you would look down on that as if he was being pathetic or me for that fact, for helping out or really what that has to do with my asking for advice!

I accept that things can come across in a certain manner on the site but I do think that perhaps opinions into why or what people are doing should be kept to yourself unless the poster has asked.

Lolly's post was regarding car sharing, I don't want to speak on behalf of someone else but I'm pretty sure she wasn't expecting a barrage of opinions regarding her choice of school for her children, like a haircut, I would imagine it's a very personal choice.

Anyhoo, I shall stop posting on this thread as my comments are completely irrelevant to the title!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: