The Old School Yard (previously "The George")

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Friday 28 March 2008 1.47pm
Hi

I found a thread on this forum about the bar that me and my business partner have just opened at 111 Long Lane. The location where "The George" was. As there has been some misunderstandings I thought I would open a new topic to explain what has happened, what there is to do and answer any questions that you may have.

The Old School Yard is an independently owned bar and is themed on a school playground.

We wanted to capture the excitement that we all used to experience when we got to run into the school yard at break, lunch or home time. In The Old School Yard, just like in your memories, the sun is always shining and the sky was always blue. We even commissioned an artist to paint a sun on to the wall and a sky onto the ceiling. This is where the reference to "playground" arises.

The bar opened on Thursday 20 March where we had over 110 guests come to pass on their regards. These guests included representatives from some of the finest bars in London who gave fantastic feedback.

I'm very proud of our cocktail menu. We have worked hard with our suppliers and mixologists to provide you with the best cocktails in SE1. I know this is a hard statement to back up but you will have to come in and see for yourself.

As a teaser the menu is deigned like a comic book and splits the drinks into school subjects. Come learn about our Mojito from Cuba in our Geography section. Our Moscow Mule from the 40's in the History section. Maybe get experimental with a Liquid Libido from our Biology page.

There is still a lot of work to do. Sorting out the sign being one of them! (Please forgive us - we are not Wetherspoons/Yates/Slug who have millions).

We also have to open the second half. This is where we need you! Would you like a cosy snug with a fireplace and lots of seats. How about a funky disco with a parquet dance floor. Or even a teachers lounge where we can serve coffee during the day. Help us shape the venue for you.

In the summer we will also open the back yard so you can have some outside seating and (hopefully) sunshine.

Anyway all we ask is that you come in and see the place for yourself. Give us a chance. We're sure that you will have a good time.

We will be open 5.30 till late every day!

Thanks for your time.

Darren
The Old School Yard
111 Long Lane

PS - whoever suggested Teachers' Whisky - genius
Friday 28 March 2008 2.14pm
Best of luck with your venture...
Friday 28 March 2008 5.05pm
TheOldSchoolYard wrote:

Thank you - I'd like to think so. Does this mean I get 10/10 or an A*?

And good luck also!
Friday 28 March 2008 5.05pm
This all sounds good. When I've walked past there seemed to be some uncertainty about whether TOSY was actually open for business. I'll be along to check out the drinks and the shining sun soon.
Friday 28 March 2008 8.06pm
Julie wrote:
TheOldSchoolYard wrote:

Thank you - I'd like to think so. Does this mean I get 10/10 or an A*?

And good luck also!

You get a High 5!

Oh I was just on the street Longlaner - really sorry the place doesn't look open but I promise we are.

Someone also asked me how much it was for drinks when I was in the cold. It's hard to say but I would say we are fairly reasonable for the area and at the launch party I got told off for selling a Grey Goose Martini for 6.25. (I think it was because he sells it for 15 at his bar and we made it better :) )
Monday 31 March 2008 8.56am
TheOldSchoolYard wrote:
You get a High 5!

Oh good.

(I am assuming it is a cocktail)
Monday 31 March 2008 9.56am
Julie wrote:
TheOldSchoolYard wrote:
You get a High 5!

Oh good.

(I am assuming it is a cocktail)

Sorry a proper hand slap - it's way cooler.
Monday 31 March 2008 10.02am
FREE DRINK FOR FORUM USERS AT THE OLD SCHOOL YARD :)

Any users of the forum can get a free Mojito or Caipirinha from The Old School Yard this week.

To redeem, please quote your user name and "London-SE1 forum"

This is valid until 5 April 2008.

Cheers

Darren

The Old School Yard
111 Long Lane
SE1 4PH
Monday 31 March 2008 10.15am
That's very kind - thanks! I'll be sure to come down this week.
Good luck with the new venture, it's great to see imdependant places opening up in the area.
Monday 31 March 2008 10.43am
Welcome to the forum, Darren. It is good to see a new local business responding to and asking for feedback.

I've merged the special offer thread into this one - having another thread on the go re. your business is a bit OTT and not really in line with our advertising policy.

And posting the same message in all five sections of the forum is another no-no.

If you'd like to run a special offer in our weekly email newsletter (6,200-ish subscribers) or our printed publication, feel free to drop me an email.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: