SE11 - postcode map - help

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 30 March 2008 1.48pm
Due to my love of all things SE11 (and I'm quite fond of SE17 too), I've decided to create an SE11 Google Map. (I know that it's not really SE1 relevant and that I'm impinging, but you're the only one to have a website!) The map is still in its infancy and whilst I think I've now listed most of the pubs, I still have to add a considerable number of cafes/restaurants, not to mention general shops/stores etc.

However, I'm struggling with the SE11/SE1 boundaries, particularly on the North and Western sides. Since this project could take forever if I were to add SE1 and SE17 markers, I'm currently sticking just to SE11. So I know that, for example, the Imperial War is in SE1 (except for some archives kept in Austral St, SE11) so I've eliminated it, but I'm not sure the border is exactly right. I have the same problem in Black Prince Road and Salamanca Street beause the western ends are SE1, and the eastern and central parts (I think) are SE11. Could anybody that knows the SE1 postcode boundaries (or the SE17/SW8 ones) have a quick look at my map to see if I've got the lines drawn correctly? Indeed, if I If anybody else wants a look, the map is currently found here:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=112122576972971383198.00044987d3af739943469&ll=51.490095,-0.105443&spn=0.01304,0.039911&z=15
Sunday 30 March 2008 2.37pm
Hi Homeletter / Angela

This looks like wonderful resource for a Kennington Welcome Pack that a Kennington Association working sub-group is putting together. If you are free, you are very welcome to come and meet with us upstairs at The Dog House pub on Tuesday, 15th April at 7pm.

Best wishes
Cathy
Sunday 30 March 2008 5.23pm
Well, the advantage of the map in online version is that content can be added and continually changed as the place changes. The problem with printing it out is that it becomes a little too static. I think it might be more useful to link to it than to print the thing out.

Also, does your group really want my personal comments on the restaurants, park etc?

Actually, it would be useful if you're currently in the area to check on two of the sites. I'm quite sure that there are two places on the map where I've listed two pubs on top of each other. And I know there's a pub called something like the Elephant and Hippo which is on my map called something else.

But I'd be happy to meet up at the pub :)
Sunday 30 March 2008 6.28pm
AFAIK, the Elephant & Hippo was previously the Castle Tavern and (a long time ago) was the Carpenter's Arms. It is still the same 1930s half timbered pub, but there is now a replica of a stuffed elephant head and a stuffed hippo head surreally attached to the front.
Sunday 30 March 2008 11.27pm
I was born in Kennington in Black Prince Road, before the building of the big estate. Many happy memories of the area. I have a photo of the exterior of the Black Prince pub, dating from the 1930s - it hardly seems to have changed.
Monday 31 March 2008 11.55am
what a pity the old system of contacting people in the road sweeping dept. at southwark does not still exist..they would tell you straight away..
Monday 31 March 2008 12.28pm
Sounds intriguing. What exactly would they be able to tell you?!
Monday 31 March 2008 12.46pm
You can see the postal area boundaries on Streetmap - they're marked with a red line

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/streetmap.dll?G2M?X=531250&Y=178750&A=Y&Z=1

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 31 March 2008 1.06pm
Thanks James. That's incredibly useful. I can wiggle the boundaries a little better now.

Actually, one intriguing thing is the way SE1 seems to been granted the riverside on the west of SE11 as though all of the river views were given preferentual SE1 status for no reason.

Does anybody know why?
Monday 31 March 2008 1.12pm
They are also marked on multiMap, with the added advantage that if you left click the map, and hold the left button down, you can move the map around. Try a search for "Lambeth Walk".

There is also the good old fashioned paper map!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: