Thug Life

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 28 October 2003 11.00am
Did anyone see the prog on Thugs on TV sunday night....

quite a large portion was filmed in Southwark
Tuesday 28 October 2003 2.35pm
Yeah, I saw it. Not a bad programme but did seem to go all over the place and was quite unfocused.

The whole situation is worrying as these guys are out of control. I was pleased to see someone address the "absentee father" situation which is rife amongst the black community. It is definitely something that needs to be tackled.
Tuesday 28 October 2003 3.11pm
Yup...

The CRE guy spoke a lot of sense.

Scary to think the Aylesbury estate is so close though.
jan
Wednesday 29 October 2003 5.52am
Dave I did not see the programme, wish I did, maybe they will repeat it.
My brother and his wife were moved by the council to the Aylesbury Estate when it was first built over thirty years ago I think. The row of small houses they were living in were pulled down ( corner of Weston Street Long Lane,Leathermarket side)

They occupied one bedroom, one living room at the top pf the house and my brother installed a sink on the tiny landing at the top with the cooker by the side....So when they were moved onto the Aylesbury under a 'slum; clearance programme they were in seventh heaven! When the furniture van came at 7pm. by the time we loaded it up , arrived at the A.E unloaded my task was to keep an eye on the baby in a carrycot, and sit on a chair underneath in the garages waiting for carpets, beds etc to be assembled ( days before divan beds I think!) I sat quite happily and did not have the slightest concern over safety, by the time we got upstairs it was 2am!
Now I would think twice about going onto the estate at dusk!

Ten years later the estate had started its downward spiral of trouble caused by unsavoury characters. Ten years later my brother was working an 18 hour day to get his family off the estate which thankfully they managed moving out of London completely.

It was originally described by enthusiastic planners/architects as a place where children could play in safety, you would never have to go off the estate, there were going to be shops, doctors,chemist etc., walkways in the sky.
The walkways became rat runs for the muggers, the milkman no longer drove on with his milk float, because when he left it things were pinched. The laundries which had rotas for tenants, were closed because when faced with some thug doing there washing when it was not their turn, the elderly were intimidated

Had the management at that time had anti-social behaviour policies in place a fair amount of the trouble could have been avoided and the tenth of council tenants who caused so much trouble for the rest of the decent hardworking people could have been evicted.

Bring back the birch..bring back the stocks..bring back anything that will maintain law and order! The single parent issue is something that needs to be addressed, especially with single parents with multi children....Strange really, we have more birth control devices than ever imagined, more access to information, terminations of pregnancy, yet still the relentless increase in childbearing by young girls little more than children themselves.

Young girls are given flats on run down estates, with the tremendous responsibilty of parenthood find it too much on their own, let some guy shack up with them, girl gets pregnant, guy moves out....Its a pity the government could not put some contraceptive in the water supply and when someone passes a certain age be given an antidote to it!
Or bring back Mother and Baby homes for them to stay in ...
Stop teenage magazine pushing sex and sexual techniques into young minds, nine year olds can read remarkably well these days ... I'm waffling on again sorry folks... the ramblings of an old gel at 5.30am......
Wednesday 29 October 2003 9.19am
Blimey, where is this estate? I missed the program, but it sounds like it was worth watching

...if you press it, they will come.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: