stanton - southwark's robert mugabe?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 31 March 2008 5.12pm
I noticed this weekend that Nicholas Stanton was interviewed on Radio 4. The subject was Southwark's

closure of a children's museum which will generate savings of just over 100,000. They also discussed the possibility of an investigation into the Councils trying to sell off the building that was given to Southwark as a bequest. How sleazy is that?

Has it all come down to Money? Stanton with the help of Annie Shepperd seem to be ripping off anyone they can get hold of, or lean on, to get whatever money they can to prop up an Southwark's ailing economy.

Stanton's already gone back on not doing a deal with Berkeley Homes. Where will it end?

Is Nicholas Stanton the new Robert Mugabe of the South Bank?
Monday 31 March 2008 5.28pm
I think the comparison is a bit extreme. Mugabe's idea of "land reform" is rather more draconian; I'm not sure Councillor Stanton has yet caused about 750,000 people to lose their homes. Neither, I suspect, has Stanton said, "Let me be a Hitler tenfold", and I have yet to hear that he has presided over the local life expectancy declining by 40% or indeed over economic freefall.
Monday 31 March 2008 9.37pm
wayne3 wrote:

No.

Although I consider that Nick is sometimes guilty of intellectual arrogance and a lack of empathy with those from different backgrounds, his failings as a polician are insignificant compared with the horrors perpetrated by Mugabe.

Whatever your superficial purpose may be in making this comparison, it is grossly offensive to anyone familiar with the suffering of the people of Zimbabwe.
Tuesday 1 April 2008 1.08am
Lang Rabbie wrote:
wayne3 wrote:

Whatever your superficial purpose may be in making this comparison, it is grossly offensive to anyone familiar with the suffering of the people of Zimbabwe.

Exactly. Am no fan of the Lib Dems but to make such a comparison is childishly idiotic.
Tuesday 1 April 2008 7.20am
Nick Stanton may be a waste of space and a waste of our money, but to equate him with Mugabe is tasteless and inappropriate. I'm surprised your posting was not deleted by James. This sort of extremist rhetoric is unacceptable.
Tuesday 1 April 2008 8.25am
Oh dear, I hardly know where to start here.

Wayne, you seem to be incapable of a rational debate, instead choosing to post a series of repetitive rants under a succession of usernames, gradually making more and more crass comparisons.

Thread closed.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

This thread has been closed

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: