Tower Bridge Repaint and Countdown Clock

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 1 April 2008 11.10am
Thought everyone might like to know that the City of London Corporation website indicates (a) a repaint of Tower bridge between 2008 and 2012, and (b) installation of a Sydney Harbour Bridge style countdown clock to the Olympics in 2012 being installed from the bridge gantry ahead of the Games (presumably to be installed after Beijing finishes!)

Think both are good ideas personally - I have been wondering for years when the bridge was due for a repaint and had wondered what colour it might be next (I understand it was silver for the 1977 Jubilee?)

In any event - expect more tourists in Potters Field Prk wanting to have their photo against the clock and bridge backdrop!

Related news & features

Tuesday 1 April 2008 12.44pm
I'm not really sure about the clock idea, but the repaint would be nice.

Wasn't it painted in its current colours for the 1977 Jubilee? It was brown, previously, I believe.
Tuesday 1 April 2008 2.35pm
I agree a re-paint is due. It was painted red, white and blue to celebrate the Queen's Silver Jubilee, and it was indeed chocolate brown before. It's always been my favourite bridge in London, made even more so when my partner got down on 1 knee and proposed last year on it:O) Be interesting to see the clock, hope it doesn't look tacky. Potters field is a great place to go when the suns out to have a picnic and a bottle of vino :O)
Tuesday 1 April 2008 10.50pm
I was wondering what Tower Bridge would look like if it was painted in one of the more traditional "red lead" colours for steelwork.

It proably doesn't want something quite as lurid as the "International Orange" used for the Golden Gate Bridge (to ensure it can be seen by shipping and aircraft in thick fog), but Forth Bridge Red has its attractions.

Intriguingly, the "bronze" colour used for the last repainting of the Eiffel Tower is pretty close to what I can recall of the former "chocolate brown" colour of Tower Bridge from my childhood.

[Will this thread attract as much debate as the one on the colour scheme of the Floral Hall portico at Boruough Market???]
Tuesday 1 April 2008 10.57pm
I'm sure it will attract considerable debate, given its iconic status. Personally, I hate the idea of a clock there - but, then, I don't give two hoots about the Olympics and the ensuing travel chaos, et al.....
Tuesday 8 April 2008 9.31am
The bridge is staying blue and white:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/3228

GaryS - can you point me to the bit of the City of London website that mentions the countdown clock?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 12.13pm
James

It was on one of the last Development Control Committee meeting minutes which I had to look at for another planning matter.

see Planning and Transportation Committee of 26.2.08

Worth taking a look and speaking to someone I guess to find out more - I did not know about the Bridge Trust referred to in today's report, and would presumably require their buy-in to any proposal.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 12.38pm
Thanks; the relevant committee report is here.

Tuesday 8 April 2008 2.22pm
Thanks for that James. In my view a great idea - but then I am all for the 2012 Olympics and the regeneration benefits they will undoubtedly bring (but no doubt that is for another thread!) alongside the global showcase for our city, and for that matter SE1. Guess the key thing now is that Omega design a good looking countdown clock!
Sunday 8 June 2008 5.37pm
Work starts on Tower Bridge approx 16 June:
http://www.portoflondon.co.uk/notice2mariners/index.cfm/flag/2/id/3051/site/navigation

Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: