special meal in london

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 29 October 2003 11.58am
Hi can anyone help, I am bring my husband to London in December as a surprise for his 30th birthday, I am looking for a really nice resturant to take him to, I have tried to book the oxo tower but it is already booked. Would prefer somewhere with a nice view as well if poss, and it would be on a sunday eve if this makes any difference.

Any ideas?

Post edited (05 Nov 03 08:10)
Wednesday 29 October 2003 12.16pm
The Peoples Palace (inside the Royal Festival Hall) has great views from window tables (and seeing as one whole side is glass, it has pretty good views from all the tables really). Food is decent, although not mindblowing, and prices are at (what are to me) celebratory meal levels without being stratospheric, if I remember correctly.

For a really very very very fine meal (not in SE1, but only in Wandsworth so a short journey from the centre) in a small restaurant with no real view go to Chez Bruce. I can't claim to be a regular visitor to gourmet restaurants, but I had pretty much the finest meal in many years there (and, if you can get a booking, it's good value)

For classic views (and the views are the thing rather than the food - in fact, maybe the best idea is to go just for drinks at the bar), then Windows on the World at the top of the Hyde Park/Park Lane Hilton (I think it's the hilton)

And for style above substance (but nice views) then there's the Conran collection of places at Tower Bridge (Pont de la Tour, etc)

What a lucky huzza you've got. Hope you find somewhere fantastic

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 29 October 2003 1.06pm
or try the square meal website, where you can search by area and also enter criteria like "views"

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 29 October 2003 1.21pm
Thats great, thanks for your help. I have been looking at the web site for the peoples palace and I think I will probably try that. Thanks again for your help.
Wednesday 29 October 2003 1.22pm
Try BANK on Aldwych

great food but need to book ahead

or the restaurant at Vinopolis is good
Wednesday 29 October 2003 1.26pm
Why not have a look in www.toptable.co.uk - you can even have a virtual look around each restaurant as well as seeing what's on the menu! We use it all the time and they show you where they've got special offers on eg 50% off!!!!
Wednesday 29 October 2003 1.48pm
If its views you want and not too bothered about price and like Japanese food with a twist, I'd recommend Ubon in Canary Wharf. Great views, great food and really romantic.
Wednesday 29 October 2003 1.58pm
Thank you all for the replys, they have been really helpful and looking on the website for the places recommended they all look very nice.
Wednesday 29 October 2003 1.59pm

Pont de La Tour or Chop House with views of Tower Bridge

Windows on the World at (or near) the top of the Hilton

Vertigo on level 42 of the NatWest Building
Wednesday 29 October 2003 3.33pm
Pont delatour is allegedly overpriced and the view is at ground level. my favourite for views and good food ant decent prices is the blue print cafe above the design museum, it is a conran restruant, food on a par with the oxo if not better, cheaper than the oxo and the staff are far less pretensious. views are also good!
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: