Wind turbines on Colombo House - Blackfriars Road telephone exchange

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Marple Sunday 6 April 2008 10.05am
Does anyone know the name of the office building next to the new Metronet building on Blackfriars Road (opposite Southwark Stn and The Ring pub). It just seems very sneaky of them to late last night erect one wind turbine undercover of darkness on the top of the building and then this morning at 7.30am I noticed a second turbine had also been positioned alongside! Whilst I have nothing against the turbines it does seem very sneaky of them to erect them undercover of darkness! I, and many others are already extremely concerned with all the "re-generation" of SE1 as it's having a major impact on our neighbourhood communites - all for the sake of big business!

James Hatts Sunday 6 April 2008 10.12am

The turbines are on the roof of Colombo House, the BT telephone exchange above Blackfriars Road Post Office.

They do have planning permission - the application was heard by Borough & Bankside Community Council. Details here: 07/AP/2906.

We gave the BT turbines a brief mention in this news item about the Palestra wind turbines (which have still not been reinstated).

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
James Hatts Wednesday 9 April 2008 1.45pm
alex Monday 21 April 2008 8.34pm
They are noisy! Not unbearable, but they can definitely be heard 100 metres away and through windows. I thought at first it was a helicopter, but having noticed them over the last few days, I realised its the turbines -they definitely do make a loud whirring noise.
James Hatts Wednesday 25 June 2008 6.17pm
I have certainly noticed the noise of the turbines a lot on these recent breezy summer evenings.

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
Tolstoy Wednesday 25 June 2008 7.02pm
Any further news on the mysterious disappearance of those on the Palestra building?
Zoe Wednesday 25 June 2008 8.25pm
I find the noise from the bars on Isabella Street much worse. Sometimes there are hundreds of people in the street drinking, it's unbearable some nights.

I don't mind the wind turbines, they are barely noticable next to the noise of the trains and cars during the day. I'd love it to be quiet enough at night to hear them!

I would also like to know where the turbines on Palestra have gone, it was the only redeeming feature of the building.

Can you find out James?
hydrometer Sunday 9 November 2008 1.43pm
They're back, well at least two of them are.
The turbines that disappeared off of the Palestra building roof some time ago are back. They are both spinning like crazy this morning.
Those pigeons had better watch out again.
Zoe Sunday 9 November 2008 3.19pm
There's still a load of stuff up there, so maybe there are still more to be fitted.
Tolstoy Monday 10 November 2008 7.35am
Beat me to it Hydro:)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions