National Gardens Scheme openings in SE1 and environs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 6 April 2008 3.12pm
I was about to advise my neighbours on plant sales for stocking our newly landscaped garden, and wanted to support local National Gardens Scheme openings.

Does anyone know why the Lambeth Community Care Centre at Monckton Street don't appear to be opening this year? Aren't they are normally open for a weekend in mid-May.

All I can find are:

Quote:
Roots and Shoots, SE11, Walnut Tree Walk, London
˝-acre wildlife garden run by innovative charity providing training and garden advice. Summer meadow, observation beehives, 2 large ponds, hot borders, Mediterranean mound, old roses and echiums. Learning centre with photovoltaic roof, solar heating, rainwater catchment, three planted roofs, one brown roof. Study room for wildlife garden. Displays, nest box cameras, observation beehives and beekeeping demonstrations. Exhibitions of work by local children and artists. Children's activities Sun 8 June
Mon to Fri (10-4) all yr, not Bank Hols.

For NGS: Sat 7, Sun 8 June (11-4). Evening Opening Wed 2 July (6.30-8.30).

Lambeth Palace, SE1, London
Lambeth Palace garden is one of the oldest and largest private gardens in London. Site occupied by Archbishops of Canterbury since end C12. Formal courtyards with historic white fig (originally planted 1555). Parkland-style garden with mature trees, woodland and native planting, pond, hornbeam allée. Also formal rose terrace, summer gravel border, chapel garden and beehives
Sat 10 May (2-5.30).

Museum of Garden History, SE1, Lambeth_Palace Road, London
Reproduction C17 knot garden with period plants, topiary and box hedging. Wild garden in front of graveyard area; drought planting at front entrance. Historic tools, information displays, changing exhibitions, shop and café housed in former church of St-Mary-at-Lambeth
Tues to Suns, not 2 week Christmas period.
For NGS: Sat 10 May (10.30-5).

Downings Road Mooring Barge Gardens, SE1, 31 Mill Street, London
Series of 7 floating barge gardens connected by walkways and bridges. Gardens have an eclectic range of plants for yr-round seasonal interest. Marine environment: suitable shoes and care needed. Not suitable for small children. Featured in RHS 'The Garden'. Cover photograph for 'Time Out' waterways supplement. Highly Commended Southwark in Bloom competition
Sun 27 July (2-5).
Sunday 6 April 2008 3.21pm
Worth noting that Downings Roads Moorings and Lambeth Palace gardens are both also taking part in Open Garden Squares Weekend in June.

I went through the NGS website a few weeks ago to add all the SE1 openings to our events guide, but they have a most spectacularly stupid website that doesn't allow you to link directly to individual garden listings.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: