How to find a Latin American nanny?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 7 April 2008 5.24pm
We are starting to look for a nanny for our 6-month old son and as we are quite an international family with a Spanish side, one of the options I would like to explore is a nanny from Latin America who is a native Spanish speaker.

Any ideas on how / where I can advertise for it? I understand there is quite a large community in Elephant and Castle but not sure if they have any newspaper etc where I could advertise. The obvious (gumtree) is helpful but it has hundreds of postings whereas I target quite a specific niche.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!
Monday 7 April 2008 5.28pm
On the upper floor of the E&C shopping centre you will find dispensers with all the free Latin American London newspapers.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 7 April 2008 5.32pm
Aren't you supposed to go through an accredited agency? You have to be very careful with whom you take into you home to take care of such a young child. I remember a Brazilian flatmate of mine who used to babysit which, in her culture meants tucking the kids into bed and going clubbbing. So you have to be very careful when employing someone who may not not prove honest or responsible. Make sure you have copies of their passports and home contact details, just in case...
Monday 7 April 2008 5.33pm
Great, thank you very much! :)
Monday 7 April 2008 7.49pm
Connie, try replacing the term Brazilian in your post with the word black, then re read it. Are you still happy with a such a sweeping statement about a "culture"?
Monday 7 April 2008 9.08pm
It's actually illegal to discriminate in this manner.
As for the Brazilian baby sitter, that sounds like something white middle class doctors would do.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 9.43am
FYI Brazilian's speak Portugese so wouldn't be much good to a Spanish family
Tuesday 8 April 2008 10.07am
I can see a stupid argument pointing so I will not bite into it. I just wanted to advise Nathalia to be careful and take all necessary precautions before getting a "stranger" (is that pc enough?) in her home to take care of her baby. I was just making a comment from a personal experience that truly shocked me.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 7.53pm
connie wrote:
I can see a stupid argument pointing so I will not bite into it. I just wanted to advise Nathalia to be careful and take all necessary precautions before getting a "stranger" (is that pc enough?) in her home to take care of her baby. I was just making a comment from a personal experience that truly shocked me.

Well, I feel I have to bite into it, because Connie deserves to be defended here. I am sick and tired of this overcautious political correctness rubbish that seems to get in the way of somebody giving very sensible advice.

Well done, Connie and I agree.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 8.11pm
Thank you for the advice... certainly I will be very careful with my selection. Unfortunately the agencies are just an intermediary who do a pre-screen according to my own requirements and i see them advertising in all the same media anyway... I am just planning to do it myself and cut out the middle man. Wish me luck!
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network