Quiet space to write in

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 8 April 2008 7.57am

I'm taking some time off from my day job to work on something else and I'm looking for somewhere to do that within walking distance from Waterloo.

Public libraries aside, can anyone recommend anywhere in SE1 that's:

a) quiet
b) open daily, ideally from 9:00 or earlier
c) free (or very cheap) to use?

Thanks for your help,

Tuesday 8 April 2008 8.13am
There used to be places to sit higher up in the Royal Festival Hall which were very quiet during the day, and free. I assume it's still the same.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 9.38am
Starbucks or similar? Popular with students with essays to do.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 11.18am
The (otherwise awful) riverside cafeteria in St Thomas's Hospital...
Tuesday 8 April 2008 11.45am
I enjoy studying in the RFH - the ground floor has good tables, there are power sockets if you want to bring a laptop, free wifi, and the coffee there is very good.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 1.20pm
What's wrong with home?
Tuesday 8 April 2008 1.39pm
jackie rokotnitz wrote:
What's wrong with home?

As a fellow writer, I would say that, for me, it can be hard to get motivated at home as this is a place you associate with relaxing when you get back from a day at work. It's all too easy to switch on the TV or chat to your other half.

Any more suggestions of anywhere in SE1?
Tuesday 8 April 2008 2.14pm
The Cafe Nero near Borough Market is usually pretty quiet during the day - much more so than any other cafe I know in the SE1 area. (Altogether different from the one on The Cut.) They play music, but there are generally few human distractions, and there is abundant seating. I'd also suggest that there are one or two local pubs which are quiet and congenial, where you can sit undisturbed and have a lime and soda. Opinion will vary on this. Maybe you can sit and write in Crockatt and Powell on Lower Marsh?
Tuesday 8 April 2008 2.50pm
How about a library? I went into the one on Walworth Road earlier and it was dead! Which for me is perfect!! Plus you have an array of (admittedly most are shoddy) reference books.
Wednesday 9 April 2008 12.53am
I would also endorse the RFH - lots of quiet spots to write and coffee and sandwiches not too far away. And toilets.
Libraries should be the obvious place to go, but it is often difficult to find a seat, and they're not as quiet as they used to be. I remember one tiresome afternoon spent studying at Peckham Library, interrupted by other peoples' mobiles going off and loud phone conversations. There were signs up but nobody took any notice.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: