Closed Lebanese shop on TBR

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Tuesday 8 April 2008 6.02pm
I tried to buy my usual houmous, falafel, couscous, olives & flat bread yesterday, but shock horror, the shop on Tower Bridge Road is now closed. I could still buy fruit and veg. from the stall outside though.

Anybody knows why this has closed (so soon after they refurbished it) and what will happen to it?

Tuesday 8 April 2008 6.15pm
Presumably you mean the Badr superette, formerly Woods the Butcher.

Well, in my view, the refurbishment was not a good thing. It changed hands just prior to the refurbishment, so one of the staff told me. They then had it shut for an entire month (January '07 if memory serves). Following which their range of products was greatly reduced and the quality of food sold dropped very significantly. Their vegetables used to be fresh and good; since they changed hands I've pulled dripping wet rotten potatoes out of the baskets. yeuch.

So, I'm not surprised.

The supermarket a bit closer to the bricklayers appears to have gone up in the world, so worth a try. They do veg.
Tuesday 8 April 2008 9.41pm
The one thing I'll regret is their assortment of baklavas and sweets. Used to enjoy shopping there but the change of ownership has had a drastic negative impact.

I'm also buying veg and fruits at the Thames supermarket, the other shop the Mapmaker is referring to. The place is a bit hit and miss, but they've got to be encouraged in their attempt to be a bit different than the other costcutter clones.
Wednesday 9 April 2008 6.37am
Alternatively, the Costcutter on Great Dover Street, just around the corner is pretty good: they have a decent selection of groceries as well as fruits and veg.
Wednesday 9 April 2008 9.31am
Maurits - the Post Office?

Amazing that such pearls of wisdom come from many thousands of miles away!
Wednesday 9 April 2008 3.13pm
Yes, indeed, the Post Office.

You can take the boy out of SE1, but...etc.
Thursday 24 April 2008 5.03pm
Badr suprette gets a mention in this Guardian blog post about M Manze and SoBo

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 24 April 2008 5.22pm
From personal experience I can say that the pies at M Manze are very low quality. There is very little meat in there - more like a teaspoon of mince with some gravy. The bottom of the pie is very stodgy. The mash is ok, but I don't know why folks queue to get in the place. This is my experience after several visits.
Thursday 24 April 2008 7.06pm
I agree Mr. Boss St Bloke - Goddard's in Greenwich (when it was still there) was a million per cent better
Thursday 24 April 2008 11.11pm
I agree with the above - Badr Superette went noticeably downhill after the refurb. I pretty much stopped going in there because it just became a bit rubbish.

Recently-reopened Thames Express supermarket near Bricklayers Arms does seem to be making a real effort, although their selection is still probably about less than half of even the crappy Costcutter opposite The Hartley, let alone the 'deluxe' Costcutter on Great Dover Street.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: