Sofa delivery into 2nd floor flat

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 14 April 2008 6.20pm
Hey,

I'm getting a sofa delivered next week that I need to get into my 2nd floor flat just off Bermondsey Street... problem is it wont fit up the stairs so needs to come through the loading doors. Does any one know a) who I can hire a elevating platform from in the local area or b) if there is an alternative (thinking some for of pulley system??)

Thanks!
Monday 14 April 2008 6.26pm
You could get an upholsterer to disassemble it, then put it together in you flat. Or, often larger pieces simply unbolt, and fit back together, what type of sofa is it?
Monday 14 April 2008 6.46pm
it's brand new.... and doesn't go into pieces im told!
Monday 14 April 2008 6.49pm
Would a fork-lift truck reach? Some delivery firms have lorries with a fork-lift attached that the driver can operate.
ADT
Tuesday 15 April 2008 9.26am
I have seen sofas being lifted up to flats in a special bag type thing. Essentially a huge padded sack with ropes attached to pull it up with. No idea if that was the sofa delivery people or a separate firm though.
Tuesday 15 April 2008 3.01pm
This previous post may help, or not, and the link. These hoists are very common on the Continent where you are often banned from taking things up the stairs.

No idea how much they cost and no connection with Pritchards etc

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/1/81518/page=1

http://www.pritchardsoflondon.com/
Tuesday 15 April 2008 3.16pm
Do people not think of these things before they make a purchase?
Tuesday 15 April 2008 7.38pm
That's mean of you Pops.

mattoneill is asking for help to get the sofa to the flat - what should they do, not buy it at all!
Wednesday 16 April 2008 12.45pm
Just make sure that if will fit through the window first!

I would get a rope and a bunch of folk to pull it.

Most sofas do fit through conventional doorways though. Is it oversized?
Wednesday 16 April 2008 2.03pm
May be cheaper to take the banister off and replace...it is a problem, if it was a door frame you could just knock that out?
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network